• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Continued Sales?

Started by springfield art, April 16, 2018, 04:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springfield art

With the current financial troubles Remington is having, are they still making and distributing the R51? The early bad press the pistol first received must've had a negative effect on sales. Are we currently seeing the total final numbers of this pistol to ever be made? The company isn't very forthcoming with information, from what I can see on line...wonder how many were produced?

R51Fan2017

Remington is going through chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings right now. They will continue production of all guns from what I understand. They released their 2018 catalog and the R51 is prominently featured, even the Smoke frame version is highlighted. I think the R51 will be with us for the foreseeable future. Well, at least for the next year or so. But I don't think anyone can guarantee that right now.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

RED HORSE

The R51 appeared in the catalog during the recall too, but was never produced during the year the catalogue covered.

Prmetime

After talking with Remington last week via their website chat, the person did not say anything more than production has been discontinued for this calendar year (2019).  While they didn't say one way or the other, I am not getting the feeling that they will be bringing it back.  That is on my feeling about this.  I have no facts one way or the other.

Zenshot

We will see if it appears in the 2020 catalog later this year.  Dropping the R51 will leave a big gap in their lineup, since single stack 9mm concealed carry handguns are the hottest market segment.
-David

springfield art

As noted in a recent issue of GUNS magazine, Remington is hurting, businesswise. They're having a host of financial issues, so doing any
thing regarding the (troublesome) R51 is not on their list. We all wish
American mfgrs. well, but this is a tough environment, legally and other-
wise.

Seeleenickel

I don't know what Remington could do to bring public trust in the R51 back.  Well, maybe "bringing trust back" is the wrong term, as it wasn't trusted from nearly the get go.  "Establish trust" might be a more accurate term.  I agree with others, it's likely dead.  I see Remington is offering "try before you buy" on their website, and lists of gunshops with ranges where one can test fire the R51 first to help along the decision making process.  It's a shame Remington screwed this up so badly early on.  If the gun works right, like mine has, it's a great, great, sidearm.

Mine is still functioning flawlessly.  I still love it.  And it's still my favorite carry weapon.

Our local Sportsman's Warehouse has them a $199.99 now..and at that price, as of yesterday, my wife now owns one too.  She hasn't fired it yet, but given we know the potential of the pistol, and that she absolutely loves shooting mine, it just seemed like good sense to get another.  Even if it has a problem, it's worth it, for us anyway, to send it back with the idea it will be made good.  We only have one other set of "matching" firearms, and those are Heritage "Rough-Rider" .22 revolvers.  Everything else her and I have vary widely in both function and form.  I'm more a lever-action/single-action guy overall, and she likes semi-autos and double actions, and bolt action rifles.

As a side note the fellow at Sportsman's Warehouse said they had 17 R51s in stock (16 now), and they weren't flying off the shelf, even at that price.  He actually did a "double take" when he looked at his computer screen, to verify he'd read it right.

Another thing I noticed yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse:  The new Remington rifles, and even the Remington/Marlins, they are getting have absolutely fabulous wood on them.  Lot's a "grain" or "figuring".  I hadn't noticed that in a while.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems Remington is trying to make their guns eye catching.  Some of them certainly caught my eye.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Seeleenickel on September 14, 2019, 10:00:25 AM
I don't know what Remington could do to bring public trust in the R51 back.  Well, maybe "bringing trust back" is the wrong term, as it wasn't trusted from nearly the get go.  "Establish trust" might be a more accurate term.  I agree with others, it's likely dead.  I see Remington is offering "try before you buy" on their website, and lists of gunshops with ranges where one can test fire the R51 first to help along the decision making process.  It's a shame Remington screwed this up so badly early on.

Well, at least they didn't try to cover up the whole debacle when they released them to the public. Of their own will, issued a recall and furthermore, tried to work with each individual customer to make them happy. That's more than what Glock did when they had the little-known botched release of the Glock 26 if I remember correctly. That gun was jamming so bad on 9mm it wasn't funny. Truth was, the problem also lay in the magazines. However, there was an active cover up on Glock's part to hide the issue from the General Public because after all, Glock is infallible right? At least Remington openly admitted they screwed up. Heck Glock didn't offer to replace anyone's gun with a more reliable one  like Remington did with the 1911 R1. But shame on Remington though for not having the gun ready for prime time in the first place. That SHOULD have been squared away before production ever started. I am glad to see that some people are waking up to the fact that they are great little guns and are not deserving of the bad rap they have gotten over the past few years. Oh well, guess it's too late to resume production again. Who knows.

Oh, and P.S. to this as well. Whenever a Glock jams, nobody, I mean NOBODY hates on Glock and calls them ugly names. But when a longstanding American company screws up, the rabid comments and out right hatred comes out with no hesitation. Unbelievable.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

springfield art

If Glocks are such "perfection", why are there so many 'aftermarket' parts available, up to and including the freakin' RECEIVER itself! You made a good point!

sebvox

The R51 hasn't been in the Remington catalog since 2018 but it is still prominent on the Remington website in 2020.  Sales continue but I just wish some of the accessories were available as shown in the 2014 catalog.
- Erik