• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Grab-A-Gun Magazines

Started by R51Fan2017, April 15, 2018, 09:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Finally got around to testing the new mag I got from Grab-a Gun. I ran 30 rounds through that one mag this afternoon on some water jugs, and it ran flawlessly. Zero glitches or hang ups. No mods necessary!  This was a new 2018 mag. I think Remington has finally got it going...................maybe  ;)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

That's great to hear!  I am still having some problems with the magazines I previously modified, so may just get the new ones. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on April 16, 2018, 12:30:28 PM
That's great to hear!  I am still having some problems with the magazines I previously modified, so may just get the new ones.

I would definitely try the new mags. They are cheap ( 14.99) and mine appears at least to work properly. I was even able to chamber a round on a fully loaded magazine! Wasn't able to do that with a stock mag before! Funny you are still having problems with your modified mags. I would have figured for sure they would work.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

crosstrains

It's odd.  I bent the lip to correct the nose dives, but I may have to bend them back in some.  I am having the opposite of the nose dive, which I think is a "nose up chamber feed failure".  It's like a stovepipe, but it's a live round.  It's only happening to the last round in the magazine. 

Best I can figure is that without the lip to stop the follower, it's tipping up so much that it's pushing the last round past the chamber before it closes so the cartridge ends up poking out of the ejector port bullet tip exposed. 

Any other explanations? 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: crosstrains on April 16, 2018, 04:31:24 PM
It's odd.  I bent the lip to correct the nose dives, but I may have to bend them back in some.  I am having the opposite of the nose dive, which I think is a "nose up chamber feed failure".  It's like a stovepipe, but it's a live round.  It's only happening to the last round in the magazine. 

Best I can figure is that without the lip to stop the follower, it's tipping up so much that it's pushing the last round past the chamber before it closes so the cartridge ends up poking out of the ejector port bullet tip exposed. 

Any other explanations?

You got a basket case for a magazine. I have never heard of anything that bad in my life. There shouldn't be enough spring tension to make the round do that if it is the last round in the mag. I think these mags like to invent new failures to keep us wondering. Strange.

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Any other explanations?

I have one mag that does the exact same thing, the other is perfect every time. Initially it was only doing it on the last round of the mag but today I was out with it and it happened on a second to the last round. One live round was stove-piped and the last round was jammed under it trying to enter the chamber, a double feed I guess. I'll have to measure the lips and compare them to my good mag.

Pat Riot

Any other explanations?

You have a weak spring. Did you trim it? If so you trimmed too much...guess how I know?  ;D

koop

This new Grab a Gun mag, is it the 6 hole or the 4 hole?

Also, dumb question maybe, but, what's holding my stock mag together?  It looks like a rivit on the baseplate.  Not a screw, not a torx.  What the heck is that thing and how do I take it out?

Thanks in advance.

crosstrains

Quote from: Pat Riot on April 27, 2018, 04:11:12 PM

Any other explanations?

You have a weak spring. Did you trim it? If so you trimmed too much...guess how I know?  ;D

Sadly, I did trim a couple of the springs out of the 4 magazines.  Seems I'm not the only one.   :-\  Wish I could buy replacement springs for those, but that's another topic.

How does a weak spring cause that type of jam?  Seems a strong spring would force it up that high, but not a weak one.  Unless it's a Pederson block delay/timing issue with the loading of the cartridge. 

crosstrains

Quote from: koop on May 02, 2018, 12:35:16 PM

Also, dumb question maybe, but, what's holding my stock mag together?  It looks like a rivit on the baseplate.  Not a screw, not a torx.  What the heck is that thing and how do I take it out?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the 4 or 6 hole, but that rivet is a button (can't remember the technical name) that needs to be pressed down with something small like an awl or punch while you slide the baseplate forward and off.  It's the bottom of the magazine spring (the follower is at the top).  Just be careful because it's spring loaded and once the baseplate clears it, it'll go flying if don't keep your hand over it. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: koop on May 02, 2018, 12:35:16 PM

Thanks in advance.

I use an ice pick. Just punch in the button, and slide the baseplate forward. Like crosstrains mentioned, keep your hand over the bottom when sliding the baseplate off. It will launch out of the magazine faster and better than Kim Jong Un's  (Rocketman Kim) rockets!  ;D

- Larry Elder

duoglide63

Grabagun no longer lists an R51 Mag.

FlatEarther

Grabagun shows part number 17696 for $18.35 but their prices can change daily.

That 6 hole mag pictured must be an old photo...Gen1 or maybe preproduction?

At least vs Gen2 mag:
Thin base plate, follower shape different on top, and no follower stop bend on the front of the body.

Joe

https://grabagun.com/remington-r51-7rd-magazine-stainless1232.html

R51Fan2017

Should have gotten about three or four when the price was 13 or 14 dollars. 18 is still not bad though.

- Larry Elder