• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Firing pin retainer pin.

Started by 1911SHOOTER, March 18, 2018, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

JohnnysR51
You should PM IKLawson,  he had a problem with his firing pin and
I believe he knows how to get the pin from Big Green.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 18, 2018, 08:23:00 PM
JohnnysR51
You should PM IKLawson,  he had a problem with his firing pin and
I believe he knows how to get the pin from Big Green.
Blackie
I wish.  I wanted them to send me a new pin or a new pedersen block.  But I decided to call Rem because the gun was st ill under warranty.  I figured they'd send me a new pedersen block.  Instead they set up a return for repair.  The "repair" shop <cough cough>, instead of fixing the pin or the pedersen block, just approved a complete replacement of the firearm.  So I got a new gun for a part that should have been easily replaced. 

To this day, I am still convinced that there was no real problem.  Either a shaving of copper, lead, or brass got into the firing pin channel or the firing pin spring got kinked.  Neither problem would have really justified replacing the whole gun.  But I got a new gun so I guess I can't complain too much.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Quote from: lklawson on March 19, 2018, 08:13:25 AM
I wish.  I wanted them to send me a new pin or a new pedersen block.  But I decided to call Rem because the gun was st ill under warranty.  I figured they'd send me a new pedersen block.  Instead they set up a return for repair.  The "repair" shop <cough cough>, instead of fixing the pin or the pedersen block, just approved a complete replacement of the firearm.  So I got a new gun for a part that should have been easily replaced. 

To this day, I am still convinced that there was no real problem.  Either a shaving of copper, lead, or brass got into the firing pin channel or the firing pin spring got kinked.  Neither problem would have really justified replacing the whole gun.  But I got a new gun so I guess I can't complain too much.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,

This is precisely why I NEVER let my gun out of my hands when I have it. If something is wrong with it, I hmmm and haw over it until I get it apart (usually by mistake) and then I figure it out. Then, it's a learning experience. Great way to really get to know your firearm. But then again, I can't blame you for wanting to get warranty work done either. When you have a warranty, it is nice to be able to take advantage of it. Sounds to me like Remington's "gunsmiths" need to go back to school if you ask me. And they also need to know their own product and how to work on it. Shameful.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 20, 2018, 07:15:53 AM
Quote from: lklawson on March 19, 2018, 08:13:25 AM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,

This is precisely why I NEVER let my gun out of my hands when I have it. If something is wrong with it, I hmmm and haw over it until I get it apart (usually by mistake) and then I figure it out. Then, it's a learning experience. Great way to really get to know your firearm. But then again, I can't blame you for wanting to get warranty work done either. When you have a warranty, it is nice to be able to take advantage of it. Sounds to me like Remington's "gunsmiths" need to go back to school if you ask me. And they also need to know their own product and how to work on it. Shameful.
To be completely honest (don't tell Remington) but I did take a pin-punch and work at the tapered retaining pin in the pedersen block.  It didn't move a smidge and I didn't want to hammer too hard without knowing the construction of the pin.  Before I damaged it, I called in the warranty. 

I was secretly hoping that Remington would connect me with a Tech who would tell me to just whack the thing harder.  :D 

But they decided to pay for shipping to the repair center and the repair center just replaced the whole thing.  <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Quote from: lklawson on March 20, 2018, 08:36:26 AM
I was secretly hoping that Remington would connect me with a Tech who would tell me to just whack the thing harder.  :D 

That's my number one fix for everything!  ;D Just kidding!  ;D

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

ElViejo

One of my R51's  has developed the trick of piercing the primer, draggin' a piece of primer back thru the firing pin hole and gumming up the works.  Got a email into Big Green and they replied saying theyre gonna send me a repair order.  So far(3 days) nada.  This is getting irritating.  I do have a spare, unfired.  Guess I'll put a few hundred rounds thru it and see if it has the same problem.  I looks to me as if I'm not alone.  I did notice that before it started holing the primers that it tried to pull the dented portion of the primer back out.  Weird.

ElViejo

Went and removed the firing pin.  Little bits of primer fell out of the breechblock.  Also noticed that the firing pin spring is bordering on floppy, as in collapsed on itself.  I stretched it out a bit, reassembled and got 5 rounds off before the thing gummed up again.  Took out the firing pin; spring is mushed out again.  Gonna call Remington see if I can talk to someone who knows what he's doing.  I think the problem is caused by the F.P. spring giving up.  It allows over-penetration of the F.P. causing a too-hard strike on the primer which makes little moon-like craters in the primer.

johnnysR51

can u post pics of shell and spring , also how many rounds have you fired so far
                      johnnysr51
Johnny'sR51