• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced in 9mm

Started by funflyer, March 16, 2018, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on March 25, 2018, 09:34:08 AM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 24, 2018, 01:06:12 PM
Todd,
     Don't try this  unless  you have an extra 9mm ejector
The 9MM ejectors are skinny compared to the .45APC.
File down the forward end of the ejector about 1/16 of an inch

Thanks Blackie, a reshaping of the ejector is on my list of things to do but, after a few hours of reading last night, I discovered the extractor is in need of tuning first. Thinking about replacing it with a WC or EGW as I read they're much better. Take a look at how out of whack the stock one is. I'm not sure it can be tuned easily.

Todd,
     For experimental purposes keep an EOM spare ejector in case you have to return the pistol under warranty.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

russc2542

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 22, 2018, 02:14:01 PM
Not knocking Remington, ( PARA on the other hand........well), but I have had  a Ruger SR1911 for years and have had no problems. The fit and finish is superb in my opinion. Then again, it isn't in 9mm either.

SR1911 isn't the same as a base 1911 R1. mine was the cheapest model (on sale plus rebate which made trading it +cash for the para a nice deal.

My Para's from back before they started overproducing and lost quality and well before Remington bought and gutted them.

funflyer

An update on my R1:

I ended up replacing the extractor, firing pin stop and reshaping the tip of the ejector. The original firing pin stop was a typical production part and very loose fitting both fore/aft and sideways, as much as .005". The original extractor was far from tuned and also a bit loose in the stop.

I used EGW parts and had to fit them as required but now everything is tight and properly tuned. Shells eject at the 5 o-clock position and about 3 feet away, perfect.

Had it out twice last week along with the R51 and it's such a pleasure to shoot that the R51 is going to take a back seat to it from now on at the range.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on April 21, 2018, 10:08:57 AM
Had it out twice last week along with the R51 and it's such a pleasure to shoot that the R51 is going to take a back seat to it from now on at the range.

The reason it is nicer than the R51 is because of the weight of a 1911. That 9mm isn't as big a cartridge, and it is still in a full size frame 1911, so with the combination of caliber reduction, and full size weight it makes a pretty nice shooting machine. I am beginning to get interested in buying one for myself after borrowing a friend of mines for several months.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder