• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced in 9mm

Started by funflyer, March 16, 2018, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

Couldn't find any bad reviews on it in either 9mm or 45 ACP so, when I saw grab-a-gun had the 9mm for $555, I figured why not and just ordered one. First time ordering from GaG so we'll see how that goes. Any of you guys have experience with the R1s? I checked one out the other day at the LGS and the only things I didn't like were the thicker than normal grips and the trigger was a bit sloppy but those are easily changed. I really liked the trigger action, super smooth and it felt like it was just around 4 pounds.

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
      A couple of years ago, I gave an 1911 R1 .45ACP
to my grandson to carry on the job.  He loves it.
It was full size. I liked the feel of the grip, as my
hands are large

Blackie.
So many guns, so little time!

russc2542

Don't get the regular R1 commander. My first time picking it up then picking up something better the lack of quality and fitment was obvious. Traded it on a used Para double stack not even a week later. From what I've heard, the enhanced models are quite a bit better so good luck.

That's marketing though, the basic ones exist to sell the better ones. still stupid that I can get any number of guns for half the price put together better than something with a reputation that's been around for 100 years.

funflyer

Quote from: russc2542 on March 19, 2018, 08:49:53 AM

That's marketing though, the basic ones exist to sell the better ones. still stupid that I can get any number of guns for half the price put together better than something with a reputation that's been around for 100 years.

I noticed that with Colt. When i was looking at the R1 I also checked out Colt. A $900 Colt was about the same quality, fit/finish as the Remington Enhanced. The $1200 Colt was much tighter. My plan is to learn the platform and eventually get all the tools to build a few myself. That's why I didn't want to spend a lot on a 1911.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on March 19, 2018, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: russc2542 on March 19, 2018, 08:49:53 AM

I noticed that with Colt. When i was looking at the R1 I also checked out Colt. A $900 Colt was about the same quality, fit/finish as the Remington Enhanced. The $1200 Colt was much tighter. My plan is to learn the platform and eventually get all the tools to build a few myself. That's why I didn't want to spend a lot on a 1911.

Todd,
Sent you an email, check it out. 
Blackie

R51Fan2017

Not knocking Remington, ( PARA on the other hand........well), but I have had  a Ruger SR1911 for years and have had no problems. The fit and finish is superb in my opinion. Then again, it isn't in 9mm either.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

I had a Remington 1911 R1, and gave it to my Grand Son to carry on the
job. He loves it.
Blackie

funflyer

Picked it up today and am very happy. This one is even better than the one I looked at in the store. Slide fit is super nice, bushing and barrel are tight, requiring the removal tool, and the trigger is probably the best of any other 1911 I've held. It has just a bit of take-up and breaks very crisp at 3-3/4 pounds. Can't wait to clean/lube it and hit the range.

R51Fan2017

Todd,

Please give us a range review when you get a chance. She looks pretty too by the way! I wish I had a R1!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 22, 2018, 05:12:15 PM
Todd,

Please give us a range review when you get a chance. She looks pretty too by the way! I wish I had a R1!

Sean, I'm hoping to get out this weekend or on Monday.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on March 23, 2018, 08:15:50 AM
Quote from: R51Fan2017 on March 22, 2018, 05:12:15 PM
Todd,

Sean, I'm hoping to get out this weekend or on Monday.

Todd,
     Pop off a few rounds for me.   haven't been out too much lately.  My back is giving me fits.
Blackie

funflyer

Hit the range yesterday and all I can say is this R1 is a great shooter. Fired 150 rounds of ball ammo, 115 and 124gr, without a single failure. First pic were the initial shots to see where the sights were set and you can see that they were a little high when out at 20 yards. Adjusted and pushed the target out to 30 yards and used a rest, second pic.

The only issue I had was that most shells were ejecting straight up and back hitting me in the head. I had several land in my front shirt pocket, and even a few go down my shirt collar, ouch! I think I need to re-shape the tip of the ejector, last pic, or look at adjusting the extractor, Blackie, any tips on this?

R51Fan2017

Todd,

Great! Sounds like a good 1911. My Ruger 1911 ejects the same way. I have grown to ignore it. Now I don't notice it much anymore. Nice groups too!

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     Don't try this  unless  you have an extra 9mm ejector
The 9MM ejectors are skinny compared to the .45APC.
File down the forward end of the ejector about 1/16 of an inch
Try that.  You might try a different magazine.  1911s are
really bitchy about mags.
You know the drill pal. Let me know what occurs.

BTW, this manual has helped me immensely.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-M1911-M1911A1-Pistols-Commercial/dp/B000HEGCQ0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AA625A5HWRTX1KNEGXMZ

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 24, 2018, 01:06:12 PM
Todd,
     Don't try this  unless  you have an extra 9mm ejector
The 9MM ejectors are skinny compared to the .45APC.
File down the forward end of the ejector about 1/16 of an inch

Thanks Blackie, a reshaping of the ejector is on my list of things to do but, after a few hours of reading last night, I discovered the extractor is in need of tuning first. Thinking about replacing it with a WC or EGW as I read they're much better. Take a look at how out of whack the stock one is. I'm not sure it can be tuned easily.