• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Closing the Slide on Seven Rounds in one picture

Started by David, March 08, 2018, 08:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

This picture shows a modified and original R51 follower.

Short story:  The stock follower is too long to provide enough clearance to close the slide on a full magazine.   The shorter follower provides this clearance.  You could probably get by with trimming you followers much less than this; however, these magazines work.

Although this has been covered elsewhere on the forum and is kind of old news;  I am providing a picture for clarity.

R51Fan2017

Thanks David for posting such a good picture. You are right. Trimming the legs down to help accommodate a full magazine makes life good. Why have a 7 round magazine if you can't load a full 7 rounds in it?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

David

Magazine tab mod.  Modified and original magazine.  Look closely at the magazine on the left and you will see the tab that holds the follower from popping out has been slightly trimmed and lowered.  The magazine on the right is original. 

The purpose as I understand this is to allow some room for a bullet that has "nose dived" into the magazine to move forward and pop up.

Since doing this mod to one magazine AND shorting the followers in both magazines, I haven't encountered a "nose dive" failure to feed with either magazine.   The nose dive used to be fairly common and it is clearly not so now.  At present, these magazines have digested a couple boxes of Tula steel without issue with just the follower modification.

Bottom line is I'm not convinced that modifying the tab on the front of the magazine is necessary. 

R51Fan2017

David,

Interesting about trimming the tab on the front of the magazine. I never thought about that. I just took a pair of needle nose pliers and straightened it out. But like you have reported, I have not had the first malfunction of any type including nosedives happen since moding the magazines. And I have also run steel case ammo like you stated previously through mine, and have had absolutely zero issues.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

David

R51 Fan. 

When you straightened the tab, didn't the magazine follower pop out the top of the magazine when empty?

Pat Riot

Thank you for posting these photos, David.

I was wondering about whether trimming the magazine tab was necessary. When I got my 2 new mags from Remington the only ammo that I have had any issues with is PMC 115gr FMJ. I have not done the follower mod on my magazines. I haven't tried Tula ammo in my gun.

Thanks again for the photos.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: David on March 08, 2018, 11:41:29 PM
R51 Fan. 

When you straightened the tab, didn't the magazine follower pop out the top of the magazine when empty?

No sir. It did look a bit crazy as the follower's front did sit higher than the rear, but I never had it pop out. Even with the follower legs trimmed.

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: David on March 08, 2018, 11:41:29 PM
R51 Fan. 

David,
     The lips on the mag hold the follower in.  I have modified several of my mags, VEEERY carefully,
and if it does not work, I return to the factory set.  Except for shortening the legs on the
follower.   One mag, I had to shave the top of the follower down so it is flat on top.
I have two 2016 mags, 5 2017 mags (as far as I know, that was when I got them) and 1 2018 mag.
the first 7 drove  me crazy, but the 2018 mag runs like a chevy!  (no mods)) 
I had one mag that absolutely would not run unless I bent the nose tab straight.
Other wise I could not even unload the mag by thumb!
Last two times I went to the range, I ran each mag in each of my R51s with no problem.
Including alternating different brand ammo in the same mag.  They all worked.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

johnnysR51

I need a little help on this I have put 869 round threw my R51 shooting for a 1000 befor April 5th ,(I go to a state for 5 months that the law is pretty shaky), I was wondering about the ware on my frame,
        I bought the gun and then spent a week or so taking it apart and reassembling it to get use to cleaning it , I got
it down pretty good I think, and when I take it apart after range time clean spotless then apply gun grease to the runner that holds the slide (once I apply the grease I take a hair dryer and heat the grease so it flows in the track, oil the parts that needs oil) I rack the gun a lot at night and it is getting smoother. I will post a pic ,,, and would like to what you think .
Johnny'sR51

David

Thanks for the pic.

I see a little of that on mine, but I haven't shot it as much as yours. 

Is that just the finish coming off, or is there pitting in the metal?

R51Fan2017

Johnny,

The wear looks normal to me. Except in a spot or two up front where it looks like a pit of metal is missing??? Am I seeing that right, or is just the picture?

- Larry Elder

johnnysR51

yes u r seeing what iam seeing, its like the block but 2 impressions there ,were the bottom of the block slams shut I cant see it going any more as the barrel is putting the brakes on it ,, iam going to keep my eye on it ... thank for looking
                                                                            Johnny
Johnny'sR51