• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

GSG 1911 22, so much fun.

Started by funflyer, February 28, 2018, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

An inexpensive 1911 chambered in 22, it's about as much fun as you can have with your pants on. It'll eat anything except standard velocity ammo but I suppose once it's worn in it'll eat that also.

1911SHOOTER

Flyer,
      That is my hobby, I pick up a frame at Sarco, find the latest .22
Conversion, and  then build a gun around it.  I have three Sarco frames
and three other .22 1911s.  I built my first one on a Sarco frame from scratch
with a Kinber conversion, and it shoots like a dream.  I named it "Spare Parts".
I had to cycle it for three months to get the slide to move smoothly.
Every time I walked by the gun bench, I would cycle the slide about 20
times.  It is now the best shooting .22 conversion I have.
I also have the Browning compact  .22 1911, the GSG .22 1911 and the
.22 colt (licensed) 1911 by Walther. I also have a (blush)  Chiappa  1911 .22
which I use for a paper weight.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

The Browning Buckmark Damascus is my favorite .22.  It, too, will eat anything as long as it's .22 LR.

Not so for the Sig Mosquito I recently sold.  It was very picky about what it would shoot.  Sig recommends CCI Mini-Mag; but even that could have its problems.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

funflyer

Blackie, I can see how these become addicting. I just discovered the Sarco site after I bought my GSG and can't believe how good their prices are. Only problem is just about everything I wanted was out of stock. I plan to make a SS guide rod and buffer, along with the alignment sleeve for the barrel. You know me, why buy them when I can spend a week in the shop and make them. Best group I could do from 20 yards is around 4" so I'm hoping after the mods I can cut that in half. Whatcha think, wishful thinking?

Dutch, I have a Buck Mark also. I left it box stock, including the sights. It'll eat just about any ammo but will jam with some of the bulk stuff, mostly Remington T-bots and Winchester. I've been trying to rid my stash of that junk ammo which I bought back when that's all that was available,. Surprisingly it actually eats Federal bulk without issue. Trigger is just under 4# but could stand to be lightened.

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Funflyer, My Buckmark is box stock, too.  It's just too pretty out of the box to modify.

I only have CCI ammo of various loads lately; but it has shot other brands, including subsonic, just fine in the past.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

funflyer

I need to get a fiber optic front sight for mine. Nothing fancy to look at but it'll strip the pills off a squirrel at 20 yards

R51Fan2017

I have a Post war Nickel plated match target Colt Woodsman. I also have a Kimber .22 conversion for my 1911. Two of my favorite things to shoot. Well, except for my .44 special S&W!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Working on a new trigger. It was either a short trigger or a flat mainspring housing and I like the look and feel of the short trigger.  Remington R1 part, only it doesn't have the overtravel screw so I'll have to drill/tap it for one. I'm also going to radius the corners more and powdercoat it black for the GI look.

1911SHOOTER

Flyer,
      Why the R1 trigger?   There are gobs of other triggers out there.
Blackie

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 02, 2018, 04:34:18 PM
Flyer,
      Why the R1 trigger?   There are gobs of other triggers out there.
Blackie

I wanted a short trigger and the R1 was the cheapest one available. I wasn't sure it was going to fit because someone on another group said they tried a Springfield trigger in their GSG and it wouldn't work. Apparently there's a difference in the gen-1 and gen-2 GSG 1911s because the R1 trigger fits nice. I finished it today, added an overtravel stop and powdercoated it black. I also made a full length stainless guide  rod for it. I got my new barrel bushing today (Colt brand) so as soon as I figure what the thread size is for the barrel I'm going to make a sleeve to make it a precision fit.

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     I found this outfit puts out good parts at a reasonable price.   Only
downside is, they only have 1911 .45ACP parts.    But, just about all the
parts on a 1911 frame are not worried about the calibre.
(Barrel, magazine, ejector. barrel bushing)  BTW  Super .38 and 9MM will feed from
the same mag on a 1911.
Blackie

http://www.johnmasen.com/category-s/1823.htm

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on March 25, 2018, 03:07:43 PM
Todd,
     I found this outfit puts out good parts at a reasonable price.   Only
downside is, they only have 1911 .45ACP parts.    But, just about all the
parts on a 1911 frame are not worried about the calibre.
(Barrel, magazine, ejector. barrel bushing)  BTW  Super .38 and 9MM will feed from
the same mag on a 1911.
Blackie
http://www.johnmasen.com/category-s/1823.htm

Thanks B, Added it to my favorites.

R51Fan2017

Thanks Blackie. I just bookmarked this page. Always great to find new sources for parts!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder