• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Slide lock and all thumbs, is it just me?

Started by funflyer, January 19, 2018, 10:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

Last time I was out with the R51 I wanted to practice some rapid fire, two shot, three shot and sometimes all 7+1 on multiple targets (1-4 seconds). On more than one occasion my my thumb inadvertently contacted the slide lock, causing the slide to either lock open with rounds still in the mag, or fail to lock open on the last round. If I just casually fire at the targets I don't have a problem. Any of you right handed shooters ever have either happen?

R51Fan2017

Sorry Todd, I haven't had any problems with this. Now I will say it is very easy to lock back, but I have never been able to make it lock back under fire. I do my best to keep  my finger away from that slide when its in motion!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

I set my left hand under the grip and have not had a problem since I
started shooting two handed.   I still like the one handed stance though.
I do not put my left thumb anywhere near the slide.  I rest my gun hand
on the palm of my left hand and it works great.
The weaver stance sucks for me.
Blackie

So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Nope, no problems here.

But I believe we did have another guy on here that did.
He first thought it was a gun malfunction, until he figured out that was himself causing it.
Only a few weeks ago, shouldn't be hard to look up the posts.

Zenshot

I haven't had this issue. My thumbs forward grip is less forward than they could be.
-David

1911SHOOTER

Guys,
     Like I said earlier,  the  Weaver Stance sucks.   I have been shooting
for 70 years, and I have always shot with my left hand under my strong
hand.   I repeat, under!  Not wrapped around my strong hand on top of the
slide.   I learned that long ago.  Just because some writer for a gun magazine
decides that his stance is better does not make it so. I hit what l aim at,
and that is what this game is about.
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 22, 2018, 05:20:35 PM
Guys,
     Like I said earlier,  the  Weaver Stance sucks.
Nah.  It's just that the pros of the Weaver aren't important enough to you to make it worth your time.  Same goes for Isosceles and any other method.  They all have their advantages and disadvantages.  I'm not that old but even I remember when the Isosceles was called the "Turret Stance" because the idea was that you could more easily "swivel" (twist) at the waist to acquire a new target.

If you can shoot well with whatever stance or method you're using, then use that.  But that doesn't mean that someone else might not shoot better with some other method or that there aren't other advantages.

QuoteI have been shooting
for 70 years, and I have always shot with my left hand under my strong
hand.   I repeat, under!  Not wrapped around my strong hand on top of the
slide.   I learned that long ago.  Just because some writer for a gun magazine
decides that his stance is better does not make it so. I hit what l aim at,
and that is what this game is about.
Blackie
So you use the "teacup" or "cup and saucer" method?  That method gets a lot of derision these days.  But it was a commonly taught two-handed method for years.  IMS, the U.S. Army taught it as standard back in Korea.

If you can shoot well with it, then more power to you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

funflyer

Been working on my grip to see if there was an alternative that I could get used to and it's a no-go. The R51 bore-axis is so low and the grip so high that unless the slide lock were flush with the frame I will always contact it with my thumb. So what I have to get used to is to lock my right thumb against the slide lock and forget the last round hold open.

Here are a few pics showing where my thumbs wind up, in relation to the slide locks, when I quick draw without thinking about hand placement. First one is my Shield, second is the R51.