• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Bet you can't guess...

Started by funflyer, January 01, 2018, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Fun Flyer,
     All I can find on the web about springs is that the springs take years to get weak.
I know that my carry weapons  have loaded mags for months and do not get weak.
IMHO.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Normally, that is so Blackie.
However, with what seems to be going on here, is that Rem has a big, uncontroled bunch of magazine parts out there!

I am sure that some of mine as unused, were off by close to 50 percent!  I had to use an uplala on some for the first loading and at least one, just thumbed down, easy-peasy!

That, and lip and follower bends that are not even close in some cases!
I believe that the mags are the 2nd gen's bigest problem!

Chokejug

Now, funflyer, I see you mentioned the sights again over on another post, including them as desired after market items.

I havent looked for it, but I do believe someone mentioned that there was a "light pipe" one out there that fits.  That would be my choice if I decide to replace the front one.

That said, I am pretty satisfied just as is.
Yeah, I know that if you shoot this gun as a "bullseye" shooter, it's going to impact low.

But I just cover where I want the bullet to impact with the front sight and bingo, my varmint is dead!

I think they call it milliary and maybe police, type impact.  Works for me.

But then, I dont shoot much paper, just steel and varmints.  (So far, all four legged, thank God!)

Chokejug

FF, check the lips and the bend that stops the follower from rising too far or too little, on that problem mag.

Compare with the ones that work well.

funflyer

Quote from: Chokejug on January 15, 2018, 10:39:22 PM
FF, check the lips and the bend that stops the follower from rising too far or too little, on that problem mag.

Compare with the ones that work well.

I compared them a while ago and there was difference. The mag with the problem had the lip bent in farther so I bent it out to match the good one. I ordered some different springs last night to try and increase the tension, so we'll see. In the mean time I will call the Green Machine and have them send a new mag. The more we complain to them the sooner they might do something.

RED HORSE

Don't hold your breath until Remington does something.

crosstrains

Funflyer,
Where can I get new springs that fit?  Are they standard single stack springs?  Is there such a thing?  I trimmed one of mine to alleviate the tension on the first round feeding and may have overdone it.  Afraid 7th round may not have enough to reliably feed, now. 

1911SHOOTER

Crosstrains,
     I have noticed that the mags that need an Uplula to load are the ones that
have FTFs.  The mags I modified with a clip of one curl on the springs seem to
work batter.   Yet other mags need the follower modified.  There is no
happy medium.  I am keeping records on 8 mags, and each one has a different
symptom. 
Blackie

Engineerpower

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 15, 2018, 09:11:36 PM
Fun Flyer,
     All I can find on the web about springs is that the springs take years to get weak.
I know that my carry weapons  have loaded mags for months and do not get weak.
IMHO.
Blackie

Correct. Contrary to popular belief, it is not duration of loading that causes modern spring steel to 'set', but the cycles of loading, unloading, loading, unloading, loading...

Springs can be overloaded, though, and spring design attempts to limit the percent compression. Pistol mags place a higher premium on maximized space utilization than individual longevity, so you get springs designed to compress to 100% in order to squeeze in that extra round.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

Chokejug

Cameron knows where of he speaks!

I think we are lucky to have him here.

I'd bet he has degrees coming out his, mmm, hat?

Funny, I spent my working years in metals technology, mostly different types of welding.

Started out under the hood, and ended up a senior welding engineer.  That is with no formal schooling beyond high school.

My relationships with PHDs was a bit harried.
30 or 40 percent, maybe, loved me.  When they had something they wanted done, I got the call.

The other 60 or 70 percent were pretty stand offish!
This was in weapons research and production.
Nuclear weapons, that is.

Engineerpower

No PhD's here, my noggin's big enough as it is!

I'm just a lowly BSME, but I do have certifications from both the Army and Marine Corps engineer schools, and VA Systems Engineering, so I guess that counts for something?

Now is the time to mourn the great losses we've suffered in tech and trade schools, industrial institutes, OTJ. There's so much societal pressure for everyone to go to a college they don't need for a degree they can't use, that nobody stops to consider a trade anymore.

Learn by doing. There's a lot to be said about bootstrapping, about studying on your own, and experimenting, and spending time in the shop working out the ideas floating around in your head. That's what's so fun about the smaller gun communities!
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     To prove out the springs,  take the mags apart and swap the springs.
BTW, have you numbered your mags with a Dremel tool or something?
Blackie