• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON THE CHARLOTTE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, January 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Riot

Oh, I will R51Fan. Thank you.

I plan to take it to the range today just to see exactly what conditions are causing this to happen. It's odd that it just started. I do know that it happened when shooting Fiocchi ammo which runs pretty hot. I am not sure how hot ammo would affect a mag release pin but who knows...or maybe it just got loose.

I am right handed but I find it easier to drop the mags with my trigger finger. I have pretty big hands and getting to the mag release with my right thumb is a little fumbly. I doubt the direction of travel for the mag release plays a part, but that's also something for me to look at.

PR

R51Fan2017

Pat,

I am not sure if you would ever plan on sending it back to Remington, but if not, you may want to try a roll pin or something before you do loc-tite. The only reason why I ask about shipping it back to the Big Green is it would void your warranty if they found a roll pin in there.  ;)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

Thanks R51Fan.
Well, I reseated the pin and went to the range to see if the pin loosened again and what conditions might cause it. The pin started moving on the second magazine of fire. I tried using both sides of the mag release, I tried different rounds with varying recoil. The pin moved about in all instances. The pin always moves to the right. I am sure recoil is the reason for the movement.

I will be calling Remington today to get it fixed properly.

Now if I could just figure out the reason it shoots low...but that is for another discussion.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on April 27, 2018, 06:56:00 AM
Thanks R51Fan.
Well, I reseated the pin and went to the range to see if the pin loosened again and what conditions might cause it. The pin started moving on the second magazine of fire. I tried using both sides of the mag release, I tried different rounds with varying recoil. The pin moved about in all instances. The pin always moves to the right. I am sure recoil is the reason for the movement.

I will be calling Remington today to get it fixed properly.

Now if I could just figure out the reason it shoots low...but that is for another discussion.

Pat,

You aren't the only one who is having the problem of it shooting low. Mine shoots VERY low. Still scratching my head too. I wonder if I need to file my sights.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on April 27, 2018, 07:21:35 AM
You aren't the only one who is having the problem of it shooting low. Mine shoots VERY low. Still scratching my head too. I wonder if I need to file my sights.

I had to mill the front sight .040" shorter on mine. With all the bragging that Remington did about testing millions of rounds of ammo before the re-release of the R51 you'd think they would have caught this early on and corrected it, or at least offered a few options in sight height.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on April 27, 2018, 09:15:37 AM

I had to mill the front sight .040" shorter on mine. With all the bragging that Remington did about testing millions of rounds of ammo before the re-release of the R51 you'd think they would have caught this early on and corrected it, or at least offered a few options in sight height.

Todd,

More than likely, they were so focused on getting it to run right, they glossed over the sights. Simple mistake. But yes, they should have been more thorough.

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

I contacted Remington. They are sending me a shipping container to send the pistol back. When I told the man, Chris, about the mag pin he seemed to be aware of the problem and says they "will take care of it". He wouldn't tell me how. He said "we'll have to see what we see when we get in there".

I also mentioned the gun shooting 4" low at 7 - 10 yards and he said they would look into that as well. I told him I replaced the factory sights with Remington fiber optic sights that I bought from them.

So, I am hoping they can fix this.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on April 27, 2018, 04:09:17 PM
I contacted Remington. They are sending me a shipping container to send the pistol back. When I told the man, Chris, about the mag pin he seemed to be aware of the problem and says they "will take care of it". He wouldn't tell me how. He said "we'll have to see what we see when we get in there".

I also mentioned the gun shooting 4" low at 7 - 10 yards and he said they would look into that as well. I told him I replaced the factory sights with Remington fiber optic sights that I bought from them.

So, I am hoping they can fix this.

Thanks for the update Pat. They aren't going to tell you how the fix is done, because they don't give up secrets that easy!  ;D More than likely, they are just going to replace the pin with a new factory one and call it good.

- Larry Elder

Pat Riot

I got my package in the mail yesterday for shipping the gun to Remington. The bonehead that took my call put a work order in saying "The magazine won't insert".
He also wrote that the gun shoots low with no other details. I wrote a complete explanation on the return sheet and put it in the gun box. The Tyvek envelope is all they send for shipping the gun. I really hope my box doesn't get messed up during shipment. Remington's shipping process really has a lot to be desired as compared to Smith & Wesson and Ruger. My hope is all goes well.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on May 03, 2018, 05:01:30 PM
I got my package in the mail yesterday for shipping the gun to Remington. The bonehead that took my call put a work order in saying "The magazine won't insert".
He also wrote that the gun shoots low with no other details. I wrote a complete explanation on the return sheet and put it in the gun box. The Tyvek envelope is all they send for shipping the gun. I really hope my box doesn't get messed up during shipment. Remington's shipping process really has a lot to be desired as compared to Smith & Wesson and Ruger. My hope is all goes well.

Pat,

I am so hesitant about sending my guns off to get work on, I hardly ever do it. The nightmare of losing it in the mail keeps recurring to me. That's why I try to teach myself about each gun I buy to avoid this very thing. But hey, it's kinda hard to turn down free labor, even if it is incompetent!  ;D D*** Remington sounds like they are out to lunch again. Good thing you wrote out a detailed note about what is wrong. That knucklehead wrote exactly the opposite of what is wrong with the "mag won't insert" crap. It won't stay in is more like it. I hope all goes well for you and your pistol Pat. Will keep my fingers crossed.

- Larry Elder

Rocky150

Rec'd my Charlotte back today.   The service people and the turn around were very good.   I had included in the shipment my single "very bad" mag  (one of 6) and they replaced it with a new one. The new mag cycled the first round perfectly.  The mag release pin stayed put.  So far so good.  To the range tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.   :)

Pat Riot

Well, no word yet from Remington about my pistol.
I think I will call them tomorrow. In the note I wrote I asked them to call me. They have had the gun since last Weds. but no call.

Alas, it appears Remington needs a lesson in responsiveness.

Pat Riot

Quote from: Rocky150 on May 17, 2018, 10:44:25 PM
Rec'd my Charlotte back today.   The service people and the turn around were very good.   I had included in the shipment my single "very bad" mag  (one of 6) and they replaced it with a new one. The new mag cycled the first round perfectly.  The mag release pin stayed put.  So far so good.  To the range tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.   :)

That is good news. Let us know how it goes. :D

R51Fan2017

Good news Rocky! Pat, hang in there. Remington was VERY slow responding to my cries for a new mag the first time around. It took them a week and a half before they finally shipped it out and sent an email. You are just experiencing first class Remington customer service  ;D

- Larry Elder

Engineerpower

Y'all are forgetting the Century drunken monkey crew...  ;D

Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34