• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Latest Range Session

Started by shinerjohn, July 29, 2018, 11:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinerjohn

Last Friday I took a quick trip to the range. I wanted to share my results with the group.

My Charlotte R51 had the runaway mag release pin issue described in other threads. Remington returned my repaired pistol Thursday. After firing 107 rounds, the replaced pin stayed at home.  So far so good!

Firing at 7 yards with a 6 o'clock hold, my R51 hit where I aimed!  Mine did not shoot low like some others have.

I recently ordered a new magazine from Remington. With this mag I was able to load 7+1. Every single time without fail! This is the only mag I've had that would work as advertised.  It worked with 125gr hand-loads and 115gr and 124gr manufactured FMJ.

Everything I tried worked without fail!  I sure was surprised!!    ;D

funflyer

Sounds promising John, but time and several hundred more rounds will tell. Glad to hear your sights are right on.

R51Fan2017

Thank goodness! I hope it continues to work well for you John!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Zenshot

That's encouraging to hear about the new mag.  Neither my Charlotte nor Huntsville model has had an issue with shooting low.  I've had the issue with other handguns but not the R51s.
-David

shinerjohn

I bought the new magazine direct from Remington hoping to receive the latest iteration rather than one that has been stuck in the distribution line.  That was my logic whether it actually worked that way or not.... 

I'll definitely put more bullets down range just as soon as I load more rounds.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Hrfunk

Quote from: shinerjohn on July 29, 2018, 11:43:40 PM
Last Friday I took a quick trip to the range. I wanted to share my results with the group.

My Charlotte R51 had the runaway mag release pin issue described in other threads. Remington returned my repaired pistol Thursday. After firing 107 rounds, the replaced pin stayed at home.  So far so good!

Firing at 7 yards with a 6 o'clock hold, my R51 hit where I aimed!  Mine did not shoot low like some others have.

I recently ordered a new magazine from Remington. With this mag I was able to load 7+1. Every single time without fail! This is the only mag I've had that would work as advertised.  It worked with 125gr hand-loads and 115gr and 124gr manufactured FMJ.

Everything I tried worked without fail!  I sure was surprised!!    ;D

Hi John! I just shipped mine back to Remington yesterday. When you were shooting your, did you load it with a round in the chamber and a full 7 round magazine? That is the time mine is having problems. It fails to feed that first round out of a full magazine almost every time. If I run it with 6 in the mag, then it seems to run pretty well.

Thanks,
Howard

shinerjohn

Hey, Howard!  Yes, I was able to successfully use 1 in the chamber and 7 in the mag. I attribute that success to the new magazine.

My first semi-auto pistol was a Kahr. Kahr pistols have tight tolerances and stiff springs. Their owner's manual suggests you lock the slide open, insert the full mag, and use the slide release to chamber the first round. I have used that method with every semi-auto I have including the R51. FOR ME, it works to provide consistent force in chambering a round every time.

I hope Remington is successful in repairing your pistol! These handguns are fun to shoot when they're working correctly!

Hrfunk

Thanks John. Hopefully the fix for my pistol will be as simple as replacing the magazines. I'm a little skeptical, however, as Remington already sent me two replacements and that did not solve the problems. I have no idea how new or old the mags were that they sent to me, so maybe I'll get lucky and some newer/redesigned versions will do the trick.

Howard

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Hrfunk on July 31, 2018, 10:33:32 AM
Thanks John. Hopefully the fix for my pistol will be as simple as replacing the magazines. I'm a little skeptical, however, as Remington already sent me two replacements and that did not solve the problems. I have no idea how new or old the mags were that they sent to me, so maybe I'll get lucky and some newer/redesigned versions will do the trick.

Howard

Howard,

I know I still sound like a broken record, but I think the mags will fix you up. You just have to wind up with a good setting of mags though. That's the challenge!! Good luck and keep us posted!  ;)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder