• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Bet you can't guess...

Started by funflyer, January 01, 2018, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

...what's next on my to make list

Rocky150

funflyer

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
We are counting on you pardner!
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

This should be big. I am willing to bet, that once our in house wizard here gets done with making this follower, feeding issues will become a thing of the past. Todd, one thing I am curious about, if you can replicate the Shield follower on top, and keep the rest of the follower body Remington? However you do it, I wish you the best of luck!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Well it was a royal PITA but it's ready to test. No sloppy fit with this one. The new feed angle is a little higher than the original gen1 but much less than that "ski ramp" Remington added to the front of the gen2. 

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on January 10, 2018, 03:48:24 PM
Well it was a royal PITA but it's ready to test. No sloppy fit with this one. The new feed angle is a little higher than the original gen1 but much less than that "ski ramp" Remington added to the front of the gen2.

Now that is a follower Todd! Looks great, and I bet it will function even better! Would you consider making these for craving customers on this forum?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Rocky150

All of my fingers and other body parts are crossed!!!!!!

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
     Good work, can't wait to hear the review.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

SCurmudgeon

funflyer

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on January 10, 2018, 05:08:32 PM
Now that is a follower Todd! Looks great, and I bet it will function even better! Would you consider making these for craving customers on this forum?

Sean, If I could mass produce these or even make them in a reasonable amount of time I would. The follower you see took me about 6 hours over 3 days to make. To make several more is not something I want to commit to, sorry. Remington is the one who needs to step up and come up with a permanent fix for their mags instead of just throwing new mags at their customers who have issues.

However, what I would like to try next is a reasonable fix for the originals, or at least for the ones causing nosedive problems. The fix would be to epoxy a shim to the inside of the mag body, at the back to allow the undersized original followers to fit properly. I might also remove the steep ramp that Remington added to the front of the follower. This would essentially do the same thing as my new follower. What I'd need is a mag that continuously causes nosedives, a bad gen1 mag would be perfect. Anyone have one? I'd mod it and send it back so they could run it through some testing.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: funflyer on January 11, 2018, 10:57:55 AM

Remington is the one who needs to step up and come up with a permanent fix for their mags instead of just throwing new mags at their customers who have issues.

You are dead right here Todd. They need to take care of their customers better than what they have been. As far as making the follower goes, I understand. Honestly, I am surprised that you got that one made in 6 hours. You are quite a craftsman. Thanks for throwing your mods out here for all of us to see. I might be able to mod my follower to look pretty close to what you have going here. Although, I don't think the ramp is giving me as much trouble, as is the sloppy fit in the magazine.

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: funflyer on January 10, 2018, 03:48:24 PM
This seems like the sort of thing that would work well on a 3D Printer as a "Maker Project."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

funflyer

Quote from: lklawson on January 11, 2018, 02:04:00 PMThis seems like the sort of thing that would work well on a 3D Printer as a "Maker Project."
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Never thought of that but it would be the best option for mass production.

funflyer

Okay, took it to the range today and the last round FTF stovepipes still occurred. Only happens with the one mag and with either the original or new follower. So when cleaning the pistol tonight I thought I'd check out the mag spring tension while I was at it.

Turns out the mag spring with the issue exerts about 10 ounces less pressure on the last round than the fail free mag spring does. Not sure how significant that is but have heard about feed issues and such with 1911s when the mag springs get weak.