• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

gonna clean my R51

Started by 1911SHOOTER, December 27, 2017, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

After about 600 rounds, I am going to clean my pistol.
My conscience is bothering me.    I do not believe that
cleaning after every shoot is necessary, but that is my
opinion.     Do not do as I do.     I am satisfied with my
"Blackie".  Now to try out "Smokey".   Next Monday!
Blackie     
So many guns, so little time!

funflyer

After 600 rounds you might need to take it thru a car wash ;)

lklawson

Quote from: funflyer on December 28, 2017, 09:30:23 AM
Harbor Freight has cheap ultrasonic cleaners.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

Or, crank up the pressure washer.  ;)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on December 28, 2017, 09:30:23 AM

Todd,
Been there, did that!
about 20 years ago, my Rem mod 1100 in the back of my PU truck in a car wash.
Blackie

Chokejug

Many years ago now, and for more years than I like to think about, my son and I would take our comptetion muzzle loading and black powder shotguns to the car wash.   It worked great!

Finish them off with hot water, stand 'em up to drain, haul them about a mile home a hit them with compressed air.  Once dry, flood them with WD 40 and again hit them with the air hose.  Spreads it around great.

Then we found something even better than the WD, made for or by John Deere.  It's called Fluid Film, and its about the best rust prevenitive ever.  Designed to protect against rust on things like manure spreaders!  And that is about the most corrosive natural material one can find!  Both protected from rust, but the Fluid Film didnt sludge up like the WD40 did, and cleaned up eaiser when you wanted to shoot again.

I quit shooting BP more than 10 years ago now, when my hearing went bad.  But the son and grandson and his sister are still at it.
The son has been National Champ about 9 times in the past 15/20 years, but the grand son beat him for it this past summer.  This is long range, BP cartridge Silhoute, with old buffalo type rifles, National Championship Match at Raton NM.

1911SHOOTER

Choke,
     By gosh, that is not bad.  Proud of y'all!
Blackie

lklawson

Quote from: Chokejug on December 29, 2017, 06:19:59 PMThen we found something even better than the WD, made for or by John Deere.  It's called Fluid Film, and its about the best rust prevenitive ever.  Designed to protect against rust on things like manure spreaders!  And that is about the most corrosive natural material one can find!  Both protected from rust, but the Fluid Film didnt sludge up like the WD40 did, and cleaned up eaiser when you wanted to shoot again.
Fluid Film is lanolin based.  Handloaders have been making a similar product for years using 99% isopropyl alcohol (or brand name Iso-Heet) and liquid lanolin.  Ratios differ from person to person but it is usually in the range of 3/1 to 5/1.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Chokejug

Thanks, both of you.
Yep, good old lanolin!

And Blackie, way more than 20 some years ago I did some of that "buffalo hunter" shooting with mixed results.  If the light was right, I could do great with those old peep type sights.  And in Colarado they worked way better for me than here in Missouri today.

I even bulit a new gun 3 or 4 years ago and tried again.  First time back, I came in second, small .22 match here.  (Light was perfect for me that day)

But that was the end of it for the next 4 or 5, (embarssing), so with the extra .38 caliber centerfire barrel I had set up for it, I gave it to the now teenaged great grandson.  He is shooting it in the juniors now.
Didnt go to waste!

Another year or two, and he will need at least a .40 or maybe a .45.