• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

LOOSE MAG RELEASE PIN ON HUNTSVILLE PISTOL

Started by Rocky150, December 22, 2017, 05:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on January 02, 2018, 12:10:38 PM
I know Walther made a boat load of post war P38s that utilized aluminum frames with steel uppers, and they served the Germans well right up till 2004, but now I beginning to wonder if Remington's decision to use a aluminum frame was a dumb one or not. Is it possible that a pin could be wearing so much so fast? What kind of aluminum did they use? Chinese?  :o

Sean,
     Actuall the P-38 frames are holding up!   I have one that is about 20 years old and it is still tight.
The only beef I ever had with them was they are all set up as LEFT HANDED!   Puts the brass right back in
your face.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Rocky150 on January 03, 2018, 03:18:51 PM
Its going back.... >:( :(

Oh great.  :(  Before you send it back, could we have a picture of what it looks like if it isn't too much trouble?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Rocky150

The pin walked again...even with a great cleaning and the strongest Locktite.....The folks at Remington we great, and understanding.  He knew of this issue and re: the Mags........they are working on them in order to fix the "first round rack" issue.   Maybe that will fix the loose follower ?????

cpallenjr@q.com

There is a type of loctite - purple in color I think it is - that is specifically made for "circular part bonding". I will watch for this on mine too, thanks for the great photo.

Courtney in Seattle

FlatEarther

Loctite Part No.22221 purple is the low strength threadlocker I tried first. It did not last long.
I then used Permatex #27100 "high strength threadlocker red" bought at auto parts store.
Requires heat to remove and 24 hrs to reach full strength.
Still holding after a single 100 round session.
I too may return this pistol if this doesn't work... Joe

cpallenjr@q.com

I wonder if it's a matter of the expansion characteristics of dissimilar materials (aluminum frame, steel pin) from the heat of extended shooting sessions?I have read that a HK P7 is hard to handle without gloves after 50 rounds - does the R51 frame get hot too?

funflyer

Rocky,
Maybe a long shot but I have to ask. Does your pin have the serrations on the end? Hard to tell from your picture. It's rare but sometimes hardware will slip by a manufacturing process untouched. The pic below is of a retaining pin that is unfinished and missing the serrations on the large end.

Rocky150

The serrations are there...unfortunately.   An oversized pin might be the answer???  Not sure what they are going to do.

Plain Old Dave

I'm having this issue. Observations and plan of action:

1) If you lock the slide open, pressure on the pin is released and you can ease the pin back in place.
EDIT 1.5) I tapped the pin from right to left just firmly enough that it won't budge with finger pressure. We'll see how that holds.
2) I'll try threadlock after liberally spraying with brake parts/carb cleaner to remove all lube so the stuff will hold.
3) Second RMA and let Big Green do their thing.

Plain Old Dave

Welp. Looking around it looks like Loc-tite is an indifferent fix and apparently Big Green is aware of the issue and has a permanent fix. So, RMA mode again.

Zenshot

I've had the pin walk out twice, but that was a while ago.  It hasn't done it lately, but I'd like to know if there's a real fix.
-David

Plain Old Dave

Finally got hold of my customer service guy at Remington. Evidently they play musical pins til they get one that's snug in the frame.

Zenshot

Well, mine only walks out the right side.  I can stick a piece from a Talon grip (or any tape) over the pin hole.
-David