• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Backstrap Safety "crunch, pop"

Started by funflyer, December 20, 2017, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funflyer

You know what I'm talking about. Do you guys hate it as much as I do? Today when I was disassembling my R51 I discovered what's causing it. It's the small safety return spring getting caught between the edge of the hole and the thru pin when the safety is depressed. The backstrap creates enough leverage to easily overcome the binding but this is definitely a design flaw. Time to start re-engineering, again.

1911SHOOTER

Todd,
Really,  What does that have to do with the mags.
Just askin'
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 20, 2017, 04:23:53 PM
Todd,
Really,  What does that have to do with the mags.
Just askin'
Blackie

I need to make a list, right? When I fix this one it'll be as smooth as a 1911, I know you'll appreciate that Blackie.

R51Fan2017

Funflyer,

Please make a list of all the mods you are making. This is all good stuff to look for in these guns. Strangely, mine isn't doing this.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

funflyer

An easy fix today.

Filed/polished a slight chamfer on the edge of the spring pocket so the spring won't get caught and bent again.  I also polished the contact points between the safety and backstrap. Works very smooth now with just a slight click.

First pic showing the spring hanging up on the edge of the pocket.  The other shows where to chamfer and polish.

Engineerpower

Thanks for looking at this, the crunchiness bothers me as well. I was hoping it would 'wear in', but I may have to tear mine down and check this out...

Looking at your photos, definitely looks like a plunger should have been put in there, rather than spring-on-pin direct contact.
Cameron Husk
Dir, Engineering - DangerCo, LLC

"Therefore, worry not for the morrow; the morrow shall worry for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -Matthew 6:34

Chokejug

I guess we can say" what did you expect for the price"?

I used to think that if one could pick and choose different parts, mechanics, from different cars, one could build their own "special car"!

And actually, I did just that 4 or 5 times.
Kind of a Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" Cadillac.  Except, I crossed brands, etc.

Some of them were very apparent from the outside, others were total "Sleepers"!

funflyer

Quote from: Engineerpower on January 25, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
Thanks for looking at this, the crunchiness bothers me as well. I was hoping it would 'wear in', but I may have to tear mine down and check this out...

Looking at your photos, definitely looks like a plunger should have been put in there, rather than spring-on-pin direct contact.

I thought of that, along with a lighter spring that would have just enough force to keep the safety in the up (safe) position. There's not much room in the spring pocket so it might be a challenge. Who knows, I might dig back into it and give it a try.