• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Lowest and Highest Serial Number, Huntsville VS Charlotte

Started by R51Fan2017, December 11, 2017, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermatic

My R51 is marked Charlotte and its number is 0032067R51. I've had it since November of 2016. It came with the laser module on it if that makes a difference.

R51Fan2017

Two things I am trying to look for. Lowest serial Huntsville frame (when new production started again), and highest Charlotte frame (when Gen 1 production ceased). Are Smoke frames a special or limited run? So far the only ones cropping up are those in the early 20,000 range giving support to them being a limited run.  Also, about what time frame did they run out of old Charlotte frames to build pistols on, and when officially did the new Huntsville frames start coming to light. Some things have become apparent though. Obviously, Remington must have started over with the serial numbers, because so far, we have a Huntsville as low as 3000. Where exactly did the Big Green stop? We may never know. Remington released the R51 at the SHOT show in February 2014, and by July issued it's recall notice. That time frame includes roughly (and I mean roughly) 133 days (give or take a few, this is just an estimate) with a high number of approximately 36000 pistols. So that equates out to a production schedule of about 271 pistols a day and only 4.5 months of production. Sorry to ramble on, but this is just very interesting to me. Keep posting! The more we get, the more this picture will become clear! Thanks again!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Indyman

My Charlotte gun is 27xxx, the black Huntsville gun is 20xxx, and the Smoke I have is 23xxx. Both Huntsville guns have serial numbers that begin with "H". Interestingly, while the font size at the top of the frame is the same on all pistols (the same line with either "Charlotte" or "Huntsville"), the serial numbers are not. On the Charlotte gun the serial number is slightly smaller in size relative to the line above it, while on the Huntsville guns the serial number has a larger font size than the line above it - and is much easier to read. If I am not mistaken, I have seen other Charlotte pistols with later serial numbers that have the same larger font as the Huntsville guns.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Indyman on February 20, 2018, 04:17:11 AM
My Charlotte gun is 27xxx, the black Huntsville gun is 20xxx, and the Smoke I have is 23xxx. Both Huntsville guns have serial numbers that begin with "H". Interestingly, while the font size at the top of the frame is the same on all pistols (the same line with either "Charlotte" or "Huntsville"), the serial numbers are not. On the Charlotte gun the serial number is slightly smaller in size relative to the line above it, while on the Huntsville guns the serial number has a larger font size than the line above it - and is much easier to read. If I am not mistaken, I have seen other Charlotte pistols with later serial numbers that have the same larger font as the Huntsville guns.

Interesting observation Indyman. On M1 Garands, the ealy rifles (1937-1943) had large font serial numbers, and once they switched into the 1,000,000 serial number block (approx. 1.5 to 1.6 million range in 43) they switched to a smaller font which continued until the end of production. Not sure exactly why Remington made the switch as they are still a ways of from hitting the seven digit mark in production! A long way from where they are now! You are also now confirming my theory about the Smokeys. Yours is another 23,000 number pistol. So far, only Smokey's cropping up are those in the 23 range. Did they designate the 23,000 block specifically for the Smokes?
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

R51Fan2017

Just broke my own theory. There is a Smokey on Gunbroker right now. It is a Huntsville pistol, however the serial is 24,013. So they ventured outside 23,000

- Larry Elder

johnnysR51

my r51 is 0035XXXr51 {mid} and iam looking at a 2nd that is in the high 0035XXXr51
Johnny'sR51

Pat Riot

I bought my R51 in October 2017.
It's Serial Number is 347xxR51.It's made in Charlotte, NC.
It has a label on the box that says, "Not for Sale or Display Until Aug. 12, 2016."

1911SHOOTER

Pat,
     Looks like you got one of the first gen IIs.  Lucky you. Let us know how it shoots.
Welcome to the forum.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Pat Riot on March 03, 2018, 09:43:37 AM
I bought my R51 in October 2017.
It's Serial Number is 347xxR51.It's made in Charlotte, NC.
It has a label on the box that says, "Not for Sale or Display Until Aug. 12, 2016."

Pat,

Welcome! Save that box and label! It could become collectible! There sure are a lot of Charlotte frame pistols out there. Sure seems like Huntsville frames are outnumbered!

- Larry Elder

johnnysR51

R51fan2017           
just letting you all know I purchased mine 02/05/2018 0035XXXR51 ,
and on the box it saids not for sale until Aug 2016,, so does that mean, she has bin sitting on the
shelf for 18 months befor I purchased it,,,
              Johnny'sR51
Johnny'sR51

R51Fan2017

Quote from: johnnysR51 on March 05, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
R51fan2017           
just letting you all know I purchased mine 02/05/2018 0035XXXR51 ,
and on the box it saids not for sale until Aug 2016,, so does that mean, she has bin sitting on the
shelf for 18 months befor I purchased it,,,
              Johnny'sR51

Thanks Johnny. The best way to find out exactly when yours was made is too email Remington and ask them what the date of manufacture is for your R51. I think their email is info@Remington.com   

That way you can know for sure. I purchased mine in November, and the manufacture date was July 2017. So it was on the shelf 4 months at least. Hope that helps. I am guessing by the serial number you have a Charlotte frame pistol?

- Larry Elder

duoglide63

Bought my first R51 in January, ser# H000920R51, bought my second last Friday, ser# 0024092R51. Have emailed Remington for manufacture dates, awaiting a reply.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: duoglide63 on April 29, 2018, 05:13:52 PM
Bought my first R51 in January, ser# H000920R51, bought my second last Friday, ser# 0024092R51. Have emailed Remington for manufacture dates, awaiting a reply.

Duoglide, welcome to the forum! Also, congrats on having the lowest serial number recorded to date with a 920! The 920th one made! Where was number 920 made? Huntsville? And again, welcome aboard!

Sean

- Larry Elder

duoglide63

Yes, Huntsville. I bought the second to keep NIB,but I'm thinking maybe I should preserve the 920. What do you think?