• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R 51 trigger

Started by JDCRAB, December 07, 2017, 10:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDCRAB

OK, now that I have put about 300 rounds through the R 51, I am finding it OK for what it was designed for (personal defense).  When shooting at reasonable PD ranges, IE 30 feet or less, it shoots well enough and has handled just about all ammo except 1 (tulammo) with no failures. 

My main beef is the trigger, It flexes from side to side and is a little spongy (which I probably wouldn't notice in a gun fight) and worst of all, if I don't position my finger with just the tip of it on the trigger, it pinches it between the trigger and the trigger guard.

There seems to be no after market parts for this gun and probably never will be, but if anyone ever offers a replacement trigger for it, I will be a customer.
Fealty to the 2nd amendment forever.

R51Fan2017

Any machinists in this forum that could fabricate an all metal SOLID NOT SKELETONIZED trigger for this pistol? Like JD said, I would sure be a first customer.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Rocky150

If someone will do the drawings and if we can get enough orders at a reasonable price, I have a way to make them!!!   The drawings need to be PRECISE to CNC specs.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on December 07, 2017, 01:52:23 PM
Any machinists in this forum that could fabricate an all metal SOLID NOT SKELETONIZED trigger for this pistol? Like JD said, I would sure be a first customer.
R51fan,
     Skeletonized or not, I would love a couple of all metal triggers.   
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 07, 2017, 10:05:47 PM

R51fan,
     Skeletonized or not, I would love a couple of all metal triggers.   
Blackie

Not to start a debate, just my opinion, but a skeletonized trigger on an older gun design that has art deco styling?  That really doesn't fit for the appearances of the gun. Like I said that is just my opinion.  :)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

SCurmudgeon

Material (plastic v. metal) and design (solid v. skeletonized) are aesthetic concerns mostly.

My two cents (which is worth about two cents) is that one of the reasons I bought my R51 is because it had a metal frame.  I'd prefer it also have a metal trigger.

But my biggest complaint with the trigger is that its wobbly.  I don't think it is the plastic flexing, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone been able to figure out the source of the wiggle?

JDCRAB

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on December 08, 2017, 10:52:59 AM

But my biggest complaint with the trigger is that its wobbly.  I don't think it is the plastic flexing, but I could be wrong.

That is my main complaint too.  Too wobbly and too narrow. 8)

funflyer

Quote from: JDCRAB on December 08, 2017, 11:40:31 AM

The biggest problem with the stock trigger is that the pivot pin hole is oversized and fits sloppy on the pin. This is where all the lateral trigger movement is coming from. You can see this after field-stripping and looking at the trigger where the return spring is. A simple fix would be to bush this hole and then ream it for a precision pin fit.

If I were going to machine a new trigger I would do a few mods to it to improve things over the stock trigger. It would be wider near the trigger bar for a much better fit to give lateral stability. It would have an over-travel stop and, it would curve forward near the end to prevent finger bite. I think this would improve its look and also match the gun nicely.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: funflyer on December 08, 2017, 11:46:07 AM
Quote from: JDCRAB on December 08, 2017, 11:40:31 AM

The biggest problem with the stock trigger is that the pivot pin hole is oversized and fits sloppy on the pin. This is where all the lateral trigger movement is coming from. You can see this after field-stripping and looking at the trigger where the return spring is. A simple fix would be to bush this hole and then ream it for a precision pin fit.

If I were going to machine a new trigger I would do a few mods to it to improve things over the stock trigger. It would be wider near the trigger bar for a much better fit to give lateral stability. It would have an over-travel stop and, it would curve forward near the end to prevent finger bite. I think this would improve its look and also match the gun nicely.

Funflyer,
     You hit the nail on the head!    I fear that sooner or later, that the hole will ream itself out, and then where we.   We
need a metal replacement trigger.    I know we need one, but it is above my pay grade to  make one.  I am a lowly
electronic tech.   Big Green needs to buckle down, fix the mags and the trigger, and they will have an awesome
firearm.   They are making us do all the work!   (FOR FREE)!
Blackie

So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 08, 2017, 04:26:26 PM

They are making us do all the work!   (FOR FREE)!
Blackie

Blackie,

I am 100% with you on that! Who says we can't get paid! If we all pitch in among ourselves and design the changes, form our own aftermarket parts corp. and offer aftermarket parts, we can demand compensation from the Big Green for the changes we have made and still get paid by customers! During WWII, Winchester did the same thing with Springfield Armory in relation to the M1 Garand rifle. Winchester demanded compensation from Springfield anytime Springfield made changes to the M1 that ultimately Winchester had to implement. Unfortunately in our situation, that would never work. One, we don't have our own company. Two, we aren't under contract to build R51's like Winchester was with aforesaid M1's, and third, well, it just wouldn't work. It would be nice though! ;D

- Larry Elder

funflyer

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on December 08, 2017, 04:26:26 PMBig Green needs to buckle down, fix the mags and the trigger, and they will have an awesome
firearm.   They are making us do all the work!   (FOR FREE)!
Blackie

I have a feeling that the big Green Machine has given us all they're going to give. A new trigger will only cost them more to produce and, although poor, the current trigger does work so don't hold your breath.  It's hard to tell what's going on with them otherwise. When I called to inquire about a replacement follower I was told they didn't have any mags or parts available as they were looking into a design change. Then I read about a forum member calling them a few days after I did and they were sent a new mag, WTH! If their employees aren't on the same page now, just think what kind of run-around you'll get once they start cutting the budget to pay their debt.

Anyway, I will have a quality trigger for my R51 whether an aftermarket company steps up or I have to machine one myself. I'm going to give it some time to see what happens, and in the mean time, get a few thousand rounds through the pistol before I make any changes. I have the tools and plenty of time and may order another stock trigger so I can have a sample to get me going without having to disassemble the pistol for a while.

JDCRAB

I was toying with removing the trigger and when I got the slide off, I noticed a small spring that was wrapped around the pin that holds the trigger in place.

The spring does not appear to do anything at all.  It is not tensioned at all and can be rotated around the trigger pin with a small punch.  What it is supposed to do, I don't know, the trigger is returned to the reset position by another spring in the rear of the pistol.

Also, I had to call Remington to get a firing pin retainer pin because I lost the original after taking it out to clean out the firing pin hole.  The guy couldn't find it on the scematic and I wound up getting a pin that was the hammer strut pin.  Fortunately I was able to find the pin that I had dropped on the floor, so /that was OK.

I am beginning to think that these guns were assembled by people who were not properly trained. ::)

funflyer

Quote from: JDCRAB on December 11, 2017, 01:15:09 PM
I was toying with removing the trigger and when I got the slide off, I noticed a small spring that was wrapped around the pin that holds the trigger in place.

The spring does not appear to do anything at all.  It is not tensioned at all and can be rotated around the trigger pin with a small punch.  What it is supposed to do, I don't know, the trigger is returned to the reset position by another spring in the rear of the pistol

That's the trigger return spring. I believe the bottom of barrel tensions it so it is loose while field stripped. Also, to get the trigger out you have to pull the hammer, sear and hammer block before the trigger because it comes out the back of the pistol, trigger bar first.

JDCRAB

Oh, I didn't know it was that much trouble.  I will probably just leave it alone then. 8)

SCurmudgeon

Does anyone who had an original Gen 1 R51 remember if the trigger was as wobbly as it is in the Gen 2?