• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Tritium Sights

Started by peach2k, November 17, 2017, 06:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peach2k

Hey all.. I bought a new gun that came with TruGlo tritium night sights. The rear sights work well and are pretty bright but the front sight  is extremely dim almost non existent. Anyone have any experience with these type sights or know what would cause one to be dimmer than the others?   The Front sight is marked TG-H3 G and the rear TG-H3 G1   Any help would be appreciated...  Arlis
Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

Chokejug

New gun?
As in brand new?
Something wrong there!

Time will dim them, but that time should be equal, both sights on a new gun.

You need to check with the dealer and likely the factory!

One may be older, laying on a shelf somewhere, or may have sprung a leak, possibly fron instalation.

The front sight of course, is the most important.

My second R51, (hopefully will be here tomorrow) has a laser.
Which I could have used tonite!

As when I went iut after dark to shut the hens in, a big fat 'possum came running out.

All I had was a little "cap bill" headlamp, but could see it pretty well.  It first stopped about 5 feet from the door and then darted anither 3 feet, stopped again.

Stuck the muzzle through a hole in the chain link, lined up and pulled the trigger.
One "good" 'possum now!
95 grain, soft, flat nosed Magtech laid her right down.
Barely wiggled after.

I dont think the muzzle raised enough to hit the top of the hole in the chain link.

peach2k

Quote from: Chokejug on November 19, 2017, 08:02:23 PM
New gun?
As in brand new?
Something wrong there!

Time will dim them, but that time should be equal, both sights on a new gun.

You need to check with the dealer and likely the factory!

One may be older, laying on a shelf somewhere, or may have sprung a leak, possibly fron instalation.

The front sight of course, is the most important.

My second R51, (hopefully will be here tomorrow) has a laser.
Which I could have used tonite!

As when I went iut after dark to shut the hens in, a big fat 'possum came running out.

All I had was a little "cap bill" headlamp, but could see it pretty well.  It first stopped about 5 feet from the door and then darted anither 3 feet, stopped again.

Stuck the muzzle through a hole in the chain link, lined up and pulled the trigger.
One "good" 'possum now!
95 grain, soft, flat nosed Magtech laid her right down.
Barely wiggled after.

I dont think the muzzle raised enough to hit the top of the hole in the chain link.
Haa!  I'll bet the hens slept better that night.. you probably slept better too!    I have the laser for my R51 too... they're nice...blend right in with the looks of the gun.  Only thing I don't like is you can't turn them off. Since the activation button is mounted under the trigger guard... every time you squeeze the grip the laser comes on. So even in broad daylight it comes on. I don't like the idea of becoming "use" to it all the time... so I took it off.
     Regarding my sights I've contacted the seller of the gun.., TruGlow and the gun manufacturer to see who will replace the faulty sites. Somebody better.   ...Arlis
Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

Zaphod

For what it's worth you're right.  You can start to rely on that laser like a crutch.  I still do practice without by bringing my finger forward a bit, which is unnatural but works okay for me.

Chokejug

I would  like to put on some "glow" sights, but with what I have done in the last couple of weeks with just the "white paint" dots at night with either or both, a good flashlight or one of those little cap bill lights, why bother?

Four for four, 'possums fleeing the chicken house when I walked up in the dark.

I do have some with "light tubes" as well as the constant glow, and just love them.  They really stand out!  But hey, with tubes on both front and rear sight, they almost touch in the middle of the slide!
Can't remember what they are called just now.

As for "shutting off the laser", I have no problem with the laserguard on my R51, or any other gun that I have them on.  Just ordered another one, for the older R51, (with the newest S/N!)  Midway has a sale on them going on.  Too bad, we are in the same state, damn sales tax!  That took the shine off the sale price, just a little bit.
jug

peach2k

Quote from: Zaphod on November 22, 2017, 06:52:12 PM
For what it's worth you're right.  You can start to rely on that laser like a crutch.  I still do practice without by bringing my finger forward a bit, which is unnatural but works okay for me.

So.. you keep your middle finger forward of the button? Hmmm. I'll have to try that. I really like the grip of of the r51.. if I can just keep my thumb off the slide lock. : )

peach2k

Quote from: Chokejug on November 23, 2017, 11:10:17 PM
I would  like to put on some "glow" sights, but with what I have done in the last couple of weeks with just the "white paint" dots at night with either or both, a good flashlight or one of those little cap bill lights, why bother?

Four for four, 'possums fleeing the chicken house when I walked up in the dark.

I do have some with "light tubes" as well as the constant glow, and just love them.  They really stand out!  But hey, with tubes on both front and rear sight, they almost touch in the middle of the slide!
Can't remember what they are called just now.

As for "shutting off the laser", I have no problem with the laserguard on my R51, or any other gun that I have them on.  Just ordered another one, for the older R51, (with the newest S/N!)  Midway has a sale on them going on.  Too bad, we are in the same state, damn sales tax!  That took the shine off the sale price, just a little bit.
jug
The only true advantage of the tritium sights is... they don't require light to energize.  They just constantly glow even in daylight..but you just can't see them. So if you pickup your gun from the bedside table in the dark they are already glowing. Now of course thats not gonna help to see what your shooting at... but you'll have a sight picture of where that bullets headed.   :) :) :)