• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington RP9 chamber

Started by lklawson, November 24, 2017, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lklawson

Friend over on HPFF just bought the Remington RP9.  He reports the same issues with the chamber of the RP9 that I've seen on the R51.  Tight chamber, short leade, short freebore... All within SAMMI spec, but just barely.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/threads/dear-reviewers-of-the-remington-rp9-who-had-problems.321951/page-2#post-2437761

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

R51Fan2017

That's one thing I haven't thought about. I am going to load up some 9 mm for my R51 today, and see how they do in it. But I would imagine that once they have been through that re-sizing die, I shouldn't have any problems. Who knows? Like was brought up in the other forum, Remington made the chamber to min. spec. so it's gone be tight.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

lklawson

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on November 25, 2017, 09:27:42 AM
That's one thing I haven't thought about. I am going to load up some 9 mm for my R51 today, and see how they do in it. But I would imagine that once they have been through that re-sizing die, I shouldn't have any problems. Who knows? Like was brought up in the other forum, Remington made the chamber to min. spec. so it's gone be tight.
Build one then plunk it first.

I've built using 6 or 7 different brands and makes of bullets, using care to follow book COAL.  Most of them end up failing plunk in my R51 barrel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Kirk,
     Why would Big Green go minimums?  Don't they realize that many ammo
companies vary all over the place?  Sounds like a board decision that
went bad.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on January 12, 2018, 04:13:55 PM
Kirk,
     Why would Big Green go minimums?
Beats heck outa me.  Maybe for accuracy?

QuoteDon't they realize that many ammo
companies vary all over the place?  Sounds like a board decision that
went bad.
Blackie
I dunno.  Recommended ammo is Remington brand.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Kirk,
     you guys that reload are above my pay grade, and I respect you for that.
I use store bought ammo, and so far have not had any problems with
any ammo in the few mags that work for me.  I am logging in the 8 mags that
I have and it is an on going process..  I will eventually post the results, however
it may be a long post.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Zenshot

Quote from: lklawson on November 27, 2017, 10:34:06 AM

I've built using 6 or 7 different brands and makes of bullets, using care to follow book COAL.  Most of them end up failing plunk in my R51 barrel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
I was loading some Xtreme 115 grain HPCB (heavy plate concave back) and plunked them in my R51.  They would plunk up to 1.160 OAL.  I use these reloads in my Ruger American, but did the R51 plunk out of curiosity.  I usually load them at 1.145 OAL.  But just wanted to pass this info on to you if you are looking for bullets that will work in the R51.
-David

lklawson

Quote from: Zenshot on January 30, 2018, 07:50:45 PM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
I was loading some Xtreme 115 grain HPCB (heavy plate concave back) and plunked them in my R51.  They would plunk up to 1.160 OAL.  I use these reloads in my Ruger American, but did the R51 plunk out of curiosity.  I usually load them at 1.145 OAL.  But just wanted to pass this info on to you if you are looking for bullets that will work in the R51.
Thanks.  I'll look at them.  :)

-Kirk

lklawson

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
Just for my edification, what powder charge do you like?

-Kirk

Zenshot

Quote from: lklawson on January 31, 2018, 10:35:05 AM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
Just for my edification, what powder charge do you like?

-Kirk
I like 4.3 grains of Bullseye.  With my Lee Autodisk, the charges increase and decrease by 0.3 grains with a change in disk size.  4.0 grains worked but was pretty light and left a lot of soot on the outside of the brass after firing. 
-David