• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Big Day Tomorrow

Started by R51Fan2017, November 20, 2017, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R51Fan2017

Hello All,

Big day is tomorrow! I go to get my new R51s! Just a concern I have that I want to pass along. When the salesman goes to fetch the guns from around back, should I request only those guns with Huntsville, AL stamps on the frame (since I am assured they are Gen 2), and to not grab anything stamped Charlottesville, NC on them (since those are Gen 1). Or can I be safely assured that any gun that is currently for sale has received the proper modifications, and just quit be nit picky? Thanks in advance for the help!
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on November 20, 2017, 08:04:11 AM
Hello All,

Big day is tomorrow! I go to get my new R51s! Just a concern I have that I want to pass along. When the salesman goes to fetch the guns from around back, should I request only those guns with Huntsville, AL stamps on the frame (since I am assured they are Gen 2), and to not grab anything stamped Charlottesville, NC on them (since those are Gen 1). Or can I be safely assured that any gun that is currently for sale has received the proper modifications, and just quit be nit picky? Thanks in advance for the help!

R51Fan,
     My pistol also has a North Carolina stamp.   Send your serial numbers to Remington support and they can tell you where the gun was manufactured.
Mine was a GenII.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 20, 2017, 09:36:57 AM

R51Fan,
     My pistol also has a North Carolina stamp.   Send your serial numbers to Remington support and they can tell you where the gun was manufactured.
Mine was a GenII.
Blackie

Thanks 1911SHOOTER.  :)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

plunkster

Mines a Charlotte, too, and it has had over 500 rounds through it with very few failures - one or two in the last 400 rounds or so. Shot it with reloads on Saturday with no failures of any kind.

Chokejug

When my second one arrives tomorrow PM, I will have 2 marked as being from SC.

That is just where the frames were started and serialized.  Final everything and assembly took place in Ala.

This second one even has a lower S/N than the one I have had close to two months now.

Only problem has been the two original mags that came with that gun.  Got them running fine now, and the third, one I got from E-bay ran perfect right out of the package.

We wll see what the next two do.

I think that I will try the "proven" mags with the new gun, and these latest mags with the original gun first.  And proceed as needed from there.

R51Fan2017

Thank you Chokejug. And all of you! So this afternoon I go to pick them up. Will see what happens. I will start a new thread once I unpack them, and give a range report as well. Probably won't happen until Sunday, and will post again with the full report on Monday most likely.

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

Well, they finally got here, no thanks to the "Speed of Cabelas"!
11 days to move them 30 or so miles!  UGH!

Anyway, ran 3 mag fulls through the R51, with the mags that came with it.
(All three of these last 3 mags "seem" to have lighter springs for some reason.)

No real hang ups, just a slight hesitation on the first cartridge from the loaded mags when I tried to "slingshot" them into the chamber.  The first mag, just hesitated, the second took another "grab, pull and let loose" again and went home.
Just a tiny hang up on that "bent" lip on the two magazines that were used that way.

The laser was "close", but not quite perfect, but using the sights, it just cleaned all the paint away from the center of the steel plate.
Now, as I checked it tonite, the laser is off by a foot in about 8 feet!
Don't yet know what is going on there!
Might be an installation problem, as it came with it installed.

Now, I want to find a holster that really fits, accepts the laser mounted one.  The present leather one is softening up and makes re holstering a pain!
I think what I want is a leather or neoprene back and a Kydex shell, single, canted, pants clip.  Talking IWB of course.

An aside, why do they call them "belt clips"?
I never put them over the belt, just under it on the pants waist band.
Then, it doesn't matter how wide the belt is, or how long the clip might be.

The other gun?  The RM380 ate two mags full like it was already broken in.  It's already full of ARX ammo and ready to rock!

I just think that Rem went a bit overboard on trigger pull length!
The trigger breaks at about two typing paper thicknes's before it touches the back of the trigger guard!

Chokejug

Now, what I really want to see, for the R51, is someone to come up with a pretty colored titanium trigger that is designed to fix that side to side wobble and a likely also, titanium instead of aluminum barrel bushing.

On the RM380, either a kit, or some process to shorten that trigger pull by an eighth to 3/16".  The poundage is fine, smooooth, but it's just too long!  My old arthritic finger, just doesn't like to bend back that far!  Almost has to come back into my palm, or so it feels.

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: Chokejug on November 23, 2017, 12:42:59 AM

The laser was "close", but not quite perfect, but using the sights, it just cleaned all the paint away from the center of the steel plate.
Now, as I checked it tonite, the laser is off by a foot in about 8 feet!
Don't yet know what is going on there!
Might be an installation problem, as it came with it installed.

Now, I want to find a holster that really fits, accepts the laser mounted one.  The present leather one is softening up and makes re holstering a pain!
I think what I want is a leather or neoprene back and a Kydex shell, single, canted, pants clip.  Talking IWB of course.

My CT was off a bit, too, from the factory; but the adjustment screws brought it right in.

I have the Cross Breed holster for the R51CT, and it fits perfectly.

DUTCH
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: Chokejug on November 23, 2017, 12:54:24 AM
Now, what I really want to see, for the R51, is someone to come up with a pretty colored titanium trigger that is designed to fix that side to side wobble and a likely also, titanium instead of aluminum barrel bushing.

Fwiw, that barrel bushing is chrome plated steel - at least it is on mine.  It was one of the changes that was done to the Version 1 on its way to becoming Version 2.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Chokejug on November 23, 2017, 12:42:59 AM
Well, they finally got here, no thanks to the "Speed of Cabelas"!
11 days to move them 30 or so miles!  UGH!

No real hang ups, just a slight hesitation on the first cartridge from the loaded mags when I tried to "slingshot" them into the chamber.  The first mag, just hesitated, the second took another "grab, pull and let loose" again and went home.
Just a tiny hang up on that "bent" lip on the two magazines that were used that way.

Glad that yours finally came in!! I was beginning to wonder if it had gotten lost on it's way to you! Also, glad to hear it works decent. I got mine on Tuesday, and today I will give it a workout, and report back in with a separate thread. One thing I will mention so far as the mags are concerned. I had one, that had the bent lip that wasn't bent in as far as the other. One was grossly bent in too far. The other was not bent in very far by comparison. So I hand fed rounds into them and the mag with the lesser bend, fed fine. The other nosedived on the sixth round. So I went ahead and bent it back and it seems fine now. Next step is to go out and actually put it in the gun, and shoot it to find out if it will work. I wonder if someone is trying to sabotage Remington?????

- Larry Elder

1911SHOOTER

. Next step is to go out and actually put it in the gun, and shoot it to find out if it will work. I wonder if someone is trying to sabotage Remington?????
[/quote]

R51fan2017,
Yeah, Remington maybe?   We on the R51 pistol.com have bitched and bitched, but no results.   Although, if your wheel squeaks
loud enough, they will send you 2 new mags with a different stock number!
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Chokejug

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on November 23, 2017, 10:45:12 AM
One thing I will mention so far as the mags are concerned. I had one, that had the bent lip that wasn't bent in as far as the other. One was grossly bent in too far. The other was not bent in very far by comparison. So I hand fed rounds into them and the mag with the lesser bend, fed fine. The other nosedived on the sixth round. So I went ahead and bent it back and it seems fine now. Next step is to go out and actually put it in the gun, and shoot it to find out if it will work. I wonder if someone is trying to sabotage Remington?????

As far as that bend goes, I am coming to the conclusion that it is at least a semi critical item.
The last two mags, (that came with the last gun), are working fine, no mods as yet, but am having some "nose dive", loading the first cartridge,  Nothing, not a hiccup in firing, just picking up the first round off a newly loaded mag.

I think I am going to straighten that bend just a tad, and polish the lip.