• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington friendly customer service

Started by 1911SHOOTER, November 13, 2017, 08:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

So much for helpful customer service!
"received via email from Big Green!

"Dear Sir,

I apologize but there is no repair manuals for any of our firearms. If work needs to be done on any firearm we suggest you take it to a qualified gun smith.

Thank you >

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

So many guns, so little time!

lklawson

Remington wants to keep it under their control.  I have a friend who is a certified Remington Armorer.  Had to go to the Rem. plant to get the training.  He did get and has access to armorer's manuals and material from Remington.

To them, I imagine it's a matter of keeping it under their control.  There's lots of advantages for them to do this and lots of disadvantages to them to let armorer's material go out of their control.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

duoglide63

More from the friendly people at Remington:
1) My email-Dear sirs,

I have two R51 pistols and would like to know their dates of manufacture . The serial numbers are: H000920R51 and 0024092R51. Thank You,
2)Their reply-Good morning, both of these firearms were made in 2017. Thanks
3)My reply-I DEEPLY appreciate your exhaustive effort to supply me with the information I was seeking. Regards,
4)Their final-You are welcome. Have a great day .
I am glad I have 2 R51's because it will be a cold day when I spend another dime on a new Remington product.
I don't even really believe that the H000920 serial number was built in 2017.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: duoglide63 on May 01, 2018, 06:33:06 PM
3)My reply-I DEEPLY appreciate your exhaustive effort to supply me with the information I was seeking. Regards,
4)Their final-You are welcome. Have a great day .

Boy that really was deep research! I bet they really had to put their glasses and thinking caps on to hunt their records for that one! ALOL!!!  ;D Oh by the way, common sense tells you that R51 number 920 wasn't made in 2017.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

duoglide63

The Charlotte gun 0024092R51 was made in 2017, according to Remington. Other members have been told 0032067R51 was built 11/16 and 00347XXR51 was built 10/16. These numbers don't work for me. I don't think I would trust info@Remington.com!

R51Fan2017

Quote from: duoglide63 on May 01, 2018, 08:22:27 PM
The Charlotte gun 0024092R51 was made in 2017, according to Remington. Other members have been told 0032067R51 was built 11/16 and 00347XXR51 was built 10/16. These numbers don't work for me. I don't think I would trust info@Remington.com!

How could 34,000 be made one month before 32,000? Like everything else at Big Green, its screwed up. When I bought my pistol, I emailed them telling them how great I thought the pistol was. Then I went on to recommend design changes to the magazines which we have all devised on this forum to make them function better. I went on to state that unless these changes were made, the R51 would continue to suffer malfunctions and potentially jeopardize the future of the pistol. I got an email saying,

"We thank you for taking time to email us! We routinely forward all recommendations to our MARKETING (emphasis added) department for consideration."

Really? Marketing? Marketing doesn't know a **** thing about designing mags! They should have said that it was going to be forwarded to engineering and R&D. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing sadly.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

duoglide63

They have already announced a .40 pistol. That may be why my 9mm mags are so hard to load. That may be why the feeding problems started.

duoglide63

I absolutely love my  R51. It is a great ptstol. Remington will no longer profit from me. My last REM purchase(not R51) was a Model 81, They realized their profit in 1948.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: duoglide63 on May 01, 2018, 10:36:10 PM
I absolutely love my  R51. It is a great ptstol. Remington will no longer profit from me. My last REM purchase(not R51) was a Model 81, They realized their profit in 1948.

Getting slightly off topic with this post, but I have a U.S. Rifle 1943 Remington 1903-A3. Best bolt gun I have. Looking at that rifle vs. what they are making today. What a big difference in quality.

- Larry Elder

DryrotUK1985

Unfortunately, this is what happens when shareholders mean more to a company than happy customers.

funflyer

I hear good and bad about every company's customer service. The best I've heard comes from Ruger and the worst from Taurus. Most all others are about equal. However, I would never "cut off my nose to spite my face" over something as trivial as a manufacturing date request ::) ::) ::)

Seeleenickel

I've only had to deal with Remington customer service a couple times in my life that I can remember.  Once was probably 25 years ago, and I think Remington was still a DuPont company....I have a Nylon 66 that I bought new that often tried to feed two rounds at a time.  This was back in the days before email so it was telephone calls.  I don't remember anything bad about dealing with them on the phone, and they had me send the rifle in, they fixed it for free, and I do remember the turnaround time was remarkably fast.  Don't remember the exact time, but I seem to remember having the rifle back in a week or not much more than that.  I remember being impressed.  I think I paid shipping to them, and they paid return shipping.  I'd already had the rifle a few years by then so I thought they were more than fair.  I still have the rifle and it's never had another issue.

When I bought my 783 a couple years ago now, the rifle was excellent, but the no-name scope Remington put on it was the opposite of excellent.  Around the 30-40th round, the eyepiece lens turned sideways.  I called Remington and the woman I spoke with was rather blunt and kind of sounded like she was annoyed that I'd call about the scope..her attitude seemed to be "we gave it to you free with the rifle..what did you expect, a good scope?"  NOT friendly!  I said I kind of expected it to last longer than 40 rounds is all, particularly since the rifle doesn't come with sights so the scope crapping out made it essentially useless.  I was glad I wasn't on a hunting trip!  ;D

Since I was out at our backcountry place at the time, and wasn't going to be home for a couple more days, there was nothing to be done at the moment since I needed to send the scope back before they'd do anything.  That was understandable.  So I called back when I got home and the woman I talked to that time couldn't have been nicer.  She apologized for the impression I got from the first call, apologized for the scope failing, assured me that the scope SHOULD have lasted, and promptly set it up so that I could send it to the scope's importer at their expense.  Turnaround was NOT impressive this time.  In fact, after a few weeks, I called to see what was going on.  Granted, the scope went directly to the scope's importer, not to Remington, but I thought Remington could have done better with scope selection, and picked a supplier that would be a bit more prompt..considering the rifle was out of service with no scope.  I went and bought a Nikon scope for the rifle (Great scope!) and put the other one in a drawer when the replacement eventually arrived.  All in all, though the service was overall OK and the scope replaced, I didn't think it a stellar experience.  It didn't stop me from buying a couple more Remington products since.

R51Fan2017

Seeleenickel,

Remington customer service from back when Remington was Remington vs. what they are today is drastic indeed. The oldest Remington I own is an 1858, and the mid range I own is a 1943 03A3. Great rifle. They don't build em like that anymore.

- Larry Elder

Seeleenickel

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on June 10, 2018, 09:40:02 AM
Seeleenickel,

Remington customer service from back when Remington was Remington vs. what they are today is drastic indeed. The oldest Remington I own is an 1858, and the mid range I own is a 1943 03A3. Great rifle. They don't build em like that anymore.

How was their customer service back in 1858?  ;)  ;D

The oldest Remington I have is a mid-60's 511X bolt action .22.  It's a great shooter and VERY accurate.  Probably my favorite .22 rifle.  My wife has it's younger sibling in a mid-70's Remington 581 that her father gave her for her 16th birthday. (Ironically, the rifles are about 10 years apart, and so are my wife and I!)   The rifles are VERY similar, but use different magazines.

Back in high school I had an Italian replica 1858 Remington, but I can't honestly say I've ever even held a "real" one.  The replica was a good shooter, though.  I regret selling it or trading it away.  Back then, I was building a lot of CVA and Euroarms black powder kits, then would swap them for something else. I sold or traded away a lot of black powder firearms I wish I had now.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Seeleenickel on July 01, 2018, 05:51:38 AM

How was their customer service back in 1858?  ;)  ;D

The oldest Remington I have is a mid-60's 511X bolt action .22.  It's a great shooter and VERY accurate.  Probably my favorite .22 rifle.  My wife has it's younger sibling in a mid-70's Remington 581 that her father gave her for her 16th birthday. (Ironically, the rifles are about 10 years apart, and so are my wife and I!)   The rifles are VERY similar, but use different magazines.

Back in high school I had an Italian replica 1858 Remington, but I can't honestly say I've ever even held a "real" one.  The replica was a good shooter, though.  I regret selling it or trading it away.  Back then, I was building a lot of CVA and Euroarms black powder kits, then would swap them for something else. I sold or traded away a lot of black powder firearms I wish I had now.

My grandfather used to go to his uncle's during the summers. He had hogs, so when slaughter time came he got to help out. That 1858 Remington has killed it's fair share of hogs I think! The trigger is all messed up on it however, (or the spring is broken) and I have not attempted a fix. The gun is in pretty decent shape cosmetically though. Still has quite a bit of old finish along with some beginnings of surface rust. So I got one of those VCI bags and put it in. To afraid to shoot it honestly. Sounds like you have a nice pair of Remington bolt actions. I have never tinkered around with bolt action .22s. I have always wanted to, but have bigger wants come along that always get in the way.

- Larry Elder