• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 trigger removal

Started by peach2k, November 07, 2017, 11:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peach2k

Hey all...  i looked on YouTube for a tutorial on removing the trigger from my R51 but found nothing. I've got at least 3000 rounds thru her and would really just like to inspect it and see how dirty it is. I'm not sure how complicated it is but would really like to clean the trigger group occasionally and see how it works. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated even if it's DON'T DO IT!   :)   Thanks ...Arlis
Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: peach2k on November 07, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
Hey all...  i looked on YouTube for a tutorial on removing the trigger from my R51 but found nothing. I've got at least 3000 rounds thru her and would really just like to inspect it and see how dirty it is. I'm not sure how complicated it is but would really like to clean the trigger group occasionally and see how it works. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated even if it's DON'T DO IT!   :)   Thanks ...Arlis

Arlis,
     I see a pin just under the slide stop lever in line with the axis of the trigger but have no idea what will fall out if the pin is remover.
Have you tried that outfit that does Remington's warranty work? 
     I have been running my R51 dirty as a test and I can tell you one thing, the first time I ran five mags through it when it was new,
this is one dirty shooting gun.  Dirtier than many of my .22 pistols.
I will look around and see what I can find.
Blackie

So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Arlis,
     Try this one.   Everybody else asks intelligent questions on google,  Me, I ask dumb questions and occasionally get answers.
Hope it helps you.
Blackie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqAwUJPcyc

peach2k

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 07, 2017, 04:27:46 PM

Arlis,
     Try this one.   Everybody else asks intelligent questions on google,  Me, I ask dumb questions and occasionally get answers.
Hope it helps you.
Blackie

Blackie... that's the most detailed video I've ever seen of the R51. That guy takes it ALL the way down. I have a much greater appreciation for the firearm
in general than before. The intricacies are truly impressive. There's a lot goin on that most of us take for granted when we pull the trigger.

You mentioned its a "dirty shooting gun" ... Do you mean it gets dirty fast?? Cause thats what I have found with mine. In an earlier post I mentioned
how often I clean it...  that's because it gets sticky after a couple hundred rounds or less. The slide starts to hesitate when picking up the next round and thats
when I clean it.  In contrast I have an EAA Sar B69 17rd (which is an excellent full size 9m) And I've only cleaned it once since I've had it.

So Blackie... you purposely test run your R51 dirty... what kind of results do you get. You don't have any feed issues?   Thanks for all your help...Arlis

Regarding gun control_ "If there's a gun in the room... I want control of it." ...Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: peach2k on November 07, 2017, 07:43:14 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 07, 2017, 04:27:46 PM

Arlis,
Hope it helps you.
Blackie

Blackie... that's the most detailed video I've ever seen of the R51. That guy takes it ALL the way down. I have a much greater appreciation for the firearm
in general than before. The intricacies are truly impressive. There's a lot goin on that most of us take for granted when we pull the trigger.

You mentioned its a "dirty shooting gun" ... Do you mean it gets dirty fast?? Cause thats what I have found with mine. In an earlier post I mentioned
how often I clean it...  that's because it gets sticky after a couple hundred rounds or less. The slide starts to hesitate when picking up the next round and thats
when I clean it.  In contrast I have an EAA Sar B69 17rd (which is an excellent full size 9m) And I've only cleaned it once since I've had it.

So Blackie... you purposely test run your R51 dirty... what kind of results do you get. You don't have any feed issues?   Thanks for all your help...Arlis

Arlis,
Glad you liked the video,  Like I said when you Google, you have to think like a little kid.  be very specific.
      Yes my R51 shoots dirty.   So far, I have put about 300 rounds through it with out a cleaning.   It is getting dirty, but still functioning.
No feed issues yet.   Yesterday, #5 hiccupped once, but that was because I bent the little piece of metal to far forward . 
I like the little gun, and it is fun to play with it.  I have mags #1 and #2  I use when I carry it as back up.   The other three are
"Range mags".   It helps to number the mags, I use my dermal tool to engrave the numbers on the mags.    Otherwise I would never
remember which mag was which.    :(
Blackie 

SCurmudgeon

I'm just wondering...

Since this pistol design gets dirty fast, and if it is not feasible for most operators to easily disassemble the trigger assembly for cleaning, is there any chance that the plastic trigger with "extra wiggle" is a design feature that allows the gun to run longer without needing to be completely broken down?

1911SHOOTER

I just watched the whole video,  and I don't think I want to try to take my R51 apart.
There are a S---load of teeny parts there.   I can just imagine one little spring going missing
and getting the gun back together and it doesn't work.  What would that do to the warranty?
Blackie

BTW: This guy seems to know the way the parts go back,  but is makes the hair on
my neck stand on end the way his work  bench is so cluttered!   :(

FlatEarther

Blackie I agree...Great info if you need it, but don't do this for fun.
Note what he said about steel pins in the aluminum frame.
My Gen 2 already has the walking magazine lock pin.
Am experimenting with Loctite to glue it in place with mixed success.
Joe

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: FlatEarther on November 08, 2017, 11:44:57 AM
Blackie I agree...Great info if you need it, but don't do this for fun.
Note what he said about steel pins in the aluminum frame.
My Gen 2 already has the walking magazine lock pin.
Am experimenting with Loctite to glue it in place with mixed success.
Joe

FE
I must have missed that part, what is the "Walking magazine lock pin"?
Does that mean the pin is wallowing out the pin hole?
Glad this thing is under a lifetime warranty,  I could not afford the
labor on it.
As an aside, how much easier would it be if Rem had made the trigger
group like the group on the Yugo Tokarev?   Take the slide off, lift the
trigger group out, soak it in cleaner, oil it and put it back in.    :)
Blackie

FlatEarther

The magazine retainer pivot pin.
A few others on this forum have mentioned this issue.
In my case at about 290 total rounds this pin "walked" itself out the right side of the frame such that it was misaligned (no longer in the left side of frame).
"Walked" as in slowly moving. When you push the magazine release it puts a slight side load (left or right) on the mechanism. If the pin is not tight in the frame it will move maybe 1/32... Being right handed I use the left release button so pin moves right.

The video author mention that repeated removal/installation of these pins will degrade the hole in the aluminum frame.
Joe

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: FlatEarther on November 08, 2017, 01:04:18 PM
The magazine retainer pivot pin.
A few others on this forum have mentioned this issue.
In my case at about 290 total rounds this pin "walked" itself out the right side of the frame such that it was misaligned (no longer in the left side of frame).
"Walked" as in slowly moving. When you push the magazine release it puts a slight side load (left or right) on the mechanism. If the pin is not tight in the frame it will move maybe 1/32... Being right handed I use the left release button so pin moves right.

The video author mention that repeated removal/installation of these pins will degrade the hole in the aluminum frame.
Joe

I knew there was a reason I liked big ol' steel slab sided guns!
Blackie

Chokejug

Trigger removal?
I seem to remember someone here, (I think), that mentioned the apparent reason for the trigger wobble.

So apparently he has had one apart, as he mentioned that the hole in the plastic trigger was about 1 and one half times the diameter of the pin itself!

Some one needs to get on the ball making replacements with a more correct fiting hole in them.

BTW, the 'nother R51 that I just bought on sale today, (Cabelas), still has the SC frame!

Sale price plus the rebate, $250!