• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Defense ammo test

Started by Zenshot, November 05, 2017, 07:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

So I'm trying to find a reliable self defense round for my R51.  I ran 50 rounds of Remington HTP 147 grain through it today.  Had 2 out of the 50 hang on the feed ramp.  Not quite good enough to make the cut.
Has anyone found a good one?
-David

plunkster

I use Ruger ARX and have had no problems, but then again, I have had very few problems anyway...

Chokejug

I see no reason for any load over 124 grain bullets in this caliber.
And in this gun, likely nothing over 115.

Personally, the 65 grain ARX seem to work great, no HP, so less chance of the dreaded nose hang up.

Have used/tested all the way from that 65 grainer, 80, 85, 90 and 95 grains.

Corbon, Magtech, etc.

Really like these lighter ones, especially the ARX..
Blows up watermellons as good or better than any hollow point out there.

Zenshot

My first thought about the ARX bullets was that they might be too light to cycle the slide. If that's not a problem then I'll give the ARX a try.
-David

1911SHOOTER

I have been shooting Ruger ARX +P since they first came out.  Never a single hangup, ftf, fte or
any of the usual suspects.   I use them in my R51 backup and my various main carry weapons.
About once a month, I shoot up all of my left over ammo, and since I modified the mags on
my R51,  I am having no problems.   I also use them in my LCR and LCRx 3".  None
have come unseated from the slight recoil from the .38 Spl.  My practice round of choice is
whatever is on sale. 

Add on:
Just got back from the range, and the only magazine that malfunctioned was #5.
That is the one I bent and then bent back the lip that blocks the follower.
Straightened it out and it seems to be ok now.   
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

Zenshot

I ran a couple of boxes of Freedom Munitions 124 grain Hornady XTP through my R51 today.  Had no problems feeding or cycling.  There were 2 rounds that didn't fire even though the primer strike looked good. They fired on the second try, but I don't think the R51 was at fault.
-David

JDCRAB

I have used ARX ammo and given it the milk jug test, where it is much more impressive than standard defense type ammo.

Bear in mind though, that the milk jug test is not all than scientific.....
Fealty to the 2nd amendment forever.

Chokejug

95 grain Magtech are certainly good on 'possums!
Just did one in tonite, out shutting up the chickens after dark.

Stone dead like it was hit by lightening!
Barely twitched.

The new one w/  the laser comes tomorrow.
Or, it had better!
9 days to move 25/30 miles!
Damned state lines!

Zenshot

Tried Sig 124 grain V Crown the other day in the R51.  The front of the bullet is too big and it would not feed.
-David

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: JDCRAB on November 17, 2017, 09:33:32 AM
I have used ARX ammo and given it the milk jug test, where it is much more impressive than standard defense type ammo.

Bear in mind though, that the milk jug test is not all than scientific.....

JD,
     If you fill the milk jugs with water, it is very scientific!    :) :)
Blackie

Ranger 869

Knowing that your carry ammo will run in your carry pistol is a must. My carry load in the R 51 is the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. I also shoot my own homebrew loads with the Hornady 124 gr. XTP. I have also tried the Sig V Crown, Remington HTP,and Core Bond JHP, all 124 gr. They all shoot fine. My normal run is with the Win, ball 124gr. FRED

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Ranger 869 on November 20, 2017, 01:53:10 PM
  Knowing that your carry ammo will run in your carry pistol is a must. My carry load in the R 51 is the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. I also shoot my own homebrew loads with the Hornady 124 gr. XTP. I have also tried the Sig V Crown, Remington HTP,and Core Bond JHP, all 124 gr. They all shoot fine. My normal run is with the Win, ball 124gr. FRED

Ranger,
My carry ammo is Ruger ARX.  It runs in every gun I own.
Blackie

Chokejug

Same here!
ARX, lots of penetration, without going overboard and lots of damage to water based targets, (flesh), without bullet deformation.

No shrapnel to look for in surgery, just max wound channel.  Beats the " hydro-shock" by bullet deformation, right, out of those "so labled"!

Unnh, sounds nasty, sorry!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Zenshot on November 15, 2017, 08:56:29 PM
I ran a couple of boxes of Freedom Munitions 124 grain Hornady XTP through my R51 today.  Had no problems feeding or cycling.  There were 2 rounds that didn't fire even though the primer strike looked good. They fired on the second try, but I don't think the R51 was at fault.

ZS,
     You are probably right about the strikes.   If you get a good strike and the cartridge does not ignite  it is a bad load. No way it is the R51.
Freedom munitions are sold bulk in a store front in Houston, Tx.   Not too impressive.
Blsckie 

Zenshot

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 21, 2017, 01:40:32 PM

ZS,
     You are probably right about the strikes.   If you get a good strike and the cartridge does not ignite  it is a bad load. No way it is the R51.
Freedom munitions are sold bulk in a store front in Houston, Tx.   Not too impressive.
Blsckie
The primers had normal looking dimples, so I'm pretty sure it was an ammo issue.  I haven't had that issue with any other brands.  I picked up a couple of boxes at the Freedom Munitions storefront mainly to test the feeding function of the Hornady XTP bullet.  The prices at the FM storefront are nothing special, but their price on the XTP rounds was ok.  I wouldn't trust the FM rounds for self defense though.
-David