• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Reminton R51 voluntary recall

Started by T3, July 31, 2014, 09:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T3

If you have any issues with your R51, on July 25th Remington has a resolution that we should all entertain:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2014/corporate/remingtonr51pistolproductupdate.aspx

Remington R51 Pistol Product Update

Earlier this year, we launched the innovative R51 subcompact pistol to critical acclaim.   During testing, numerous experts found the pistol to function flawlessly. In fact, they found it to have lower felt recoil, lower muzzle rise and better accuracy and concealability than other products in its class.

However, after initial commercial sales, our loyal customers notified us that R51some R51 pistols had performance issues. We immediately ceased production to re-test the product.  While we determined the pistols were safe, certain units did not meet Remington's performance criteria.  The performance problems resulted from complications during our transition from prototype to mass production.  These problems have been identified and solutions are being implemented, with an expected production restart in October.

Anyone who purchased an R51 may return it and receive a new R51 pistol, along with two additional magazines and a custom Pelican case, by calling Remington at (800) 243-9700.

The new R51 will be of the same exceptional quality as our test pistols, which performed flawlessly.

We appreciate your patience and support.

Yesterday, I called and was put on hold for a few minutes until an extremely helpful customer service rep, Carolyn, answered and listened to the my concerns.  She spent quite a while bringing up my past emails, going over every concern I had, and made the offer to send the return mailing info.  I told her I really did not want to return mine, but wanted to see if there were some repair parts that could be used to make the corrections.  I told her that I love mine and it is functioning great, the front sights had been tuned in, both sights are a tight fit, it feels and aims great, is smooth to rack, and it feel like it was made for my hands.  There have only been a few FTF and that was because of the cheap steel jacket Russian ammo I bought.  The major concerns I have are: 1) with the wear on the Breach Block Assembly starting to show on the rear sides and beginning to create "troughs" (for lack of a better description) on the frame where the BBA slides in front and behind the two ears on the Disconnector & Fire Control parts.  After ~750 rounds, mine is very easy to rack, and disassembly and re assembly are done with ease. 

I also like the fact that mine has the Serial No. 00037XXR51.  Carolyn said that if I returned it, the new and improved Generation 2 would have the current consecutive Serial Number stamped to date.  She also said she was going to discuss the issues documented in my emails and would call me back with their comments and we could discuss the options to help me make the best decision.  When she calls back, I will ask her about the changes to the magazines, to find out if the common complaint about the thin plastic base plate had been replaced with something more substantial. 

In addition, OpticsPlanet.com is now selling the new replacement grips in both the Rosewood and Rubber.  I have ordered the Rosewood online for $24.89 + S&H.  An hour late a representative called to kindly let me know there was a two delivery time on this item and asked if that was a problem they could cancel the order.  I expected that there would be some delay due to the handling and told them to ship the pair as soon as they could.  Whether I return mine for the new and improved version or not, the grips should be interchangeable.

I hope the best for you and your decisions as to how to resolve any issues with your R51.

T3

noisemaker

They are picking mine up tomorrow and I agree that the customer service folks are very professional. I hope the Gen 2 fixes the issues I had because I love the R51. Thanks for the OpticsPlanet information too!

T3

Well Guys,

I was fortunate enough to purchase two R51's.  I bought the second just after the Voluntary Recall notification for two reasons.  First, I wasn't sure if Remington was going to actually make the corrections and put the pistol back into fabrication.  If I were to send back my properly functioning (albeit starting to show some fatigue) first R51 and they not return a new one and want to send a refund check, I would have lost the remaining thread of respect for the Remington name and been mad at myself.  Secondly, if they did not go back into fabrication, I wanted to make sure I at least had one of the early originals as an investment.  That being said, I sent one back on September 15th and have been eager to hear about the repairs, remanufacturing, other comments, etc., and want my replacement R51. 

I have been reading several online posts in other forums and youtube, which have continued the traditional negative remarks, stating that Remington has duped us again, there will never be another R51, they are never going to make the corrections that they indicated and they would be getting out of the small self defense pistol market, it will be this time next year before the new ones are ready for distribution because the engineers still have not found the solution,  Blah, Blah, Blah.  After you read enough of this garbage, you start to question the probability that there could be some truth behind the naysayers logic.  So last night I sent an email to the Technical Support and received the following response today.

Remington Support
Service Ticket Response

Thank you for contacting Remington! We appreciate your patience and apologize for the delay in responding.
The R51's are in production and are scheduled to start shipping the end of October - first of November.
Customer Service

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

The sounds like a generic response that can be sent to any R51 Owner that has a complaint.  I hope the Big Green R follows through with their statements and we get the R51 - Gen 2.  The next Shot show is scheduled soon and R will have to be able to respond to the Dealers and the journalists with something positive that has a lot of power to back it up or they will have such negative recoil that it will be devastating to them.  As soon as I receive the next correspondence or the "next generation", I will keep you informed.  Oh, and by the way, OpticsPlanet.com sent me an email similar to the one from Remington, about my order for the R51 replacement grips.  They said the manufacturer has not released the replacement grips yet, but they are expecting them soon.  They said they could keep my order open and would not bill me until the order was filled, or I could cancel it.  It is still open...and like the rest of us...waiting on the manufacturer to do what they said.

Respectfully,
T3

noisemaker

Thanks for the update. I so hope they get it right.

wa2bop

Thanks for the update.  I too am waiting.......
What, Me Worry?

T3

*****UPDATE FROM REMINGTON*****
Guys,
Yesterday I sent an email to Remington asking if they would send me a letter prior to mailing the new replacement R51, or at least send a UPS Tracking Number when it was shipped.  I received the response below:

Mr.T3.....I sincerely apologize but I gave you some incorrect information. I was informed after I sent you an email that the R51's are just now going into production....for shipment sometime the first of 2015.
Remington should be sending you an email once these are ready to ship out but feel free to keep intouch with us.
Again, I apologize for the delay and the incorrect response.
Janice
Customer Service

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

I am going to reply to the email:  If you were informed after you sent me the email that the R51's were just now going into production...for shipment sometime the first of 2015, why did you not send me another email to inform me.  That would have been the proper Customer Service and courteous thing to do.  It would be very easy to make one generic letter that could be sent via email to every R51 owner that has returned their pistol. 

This was actually what I had honestly expected.  Let's hope that they are able to follow through with their replacement promise.  I will let you know if they tell me of another delay, but it sounds like that will not come until after a couple of more months.

Still waiting,
T3

T3

Hey Guys,
Look online at the Remington 2015 Catalog to see the R51 Gen 2.  There are descriptions of some improvements, but not much detailed information.  Although, since there is some information about it,  it would lend us to believe that the new design actually is in the future.  I have read the fabrication will be in the late second quarter, but I would like to think all testing will be completed prior to the next distribution...no matter how long it takes. 
Continuing the wait.
T3