• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

First range trip with a new R-51

Started by Zenshot, July 31, 2017, 07:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenshot

I put 100 rounds through my new R51 this past weekend.  I had cleaned and lubed it before the range trip to make sure everything was in good shape.  Also, practiced disassembling and reassembling it.
I was very impressed with the feel and accuracy of the R51.  Recoil is minimal and there was hardly any muzzle flip. I am a bit recoil sensitive, so when I say it's minimal, it really is a soft shooter. 
The sights were right on target.  I was using 115 grain Remington UMC FMJ rounds.  Spent casings were not ejected toward me like other guns can do. The only issue was that out of 100 rounds, 4 needed a slight tap on the back of the slide to go into battery. I figure that will go away as the action on the gun get broken in a little better. 

When assembling and disassembling the gun, I found that wearing shooting gloves makes the process much easier. Keeping the slide open by holding the barrel against the spring pressure is difficult with oily fingers.  There are some sharp edges at the breech of the barrel which made pushing the barrel forward against the spring pressure somewhat painful without gloves.

Overall the R51 is a winner in my opinion.  I'm glad I took the plunge and bought it.
-David