• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

CZ75 vs R51

Started by DUTCH Van Atlanta, July 26, 2017, 09:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUTCH Van Atlanta

I had both the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical and the Remington R51 to the range yesterday.  The CZ75 is a far superior weapon to shoot, both for comfort and accuracy.

That is obviously to be expected as the CZ75 has a longer barrel, heavier weight for better recoil and a larger grip for my big mitts.

The ONLY advantages to the R51 are that ii is easily concealable and has the CT laser for easier target acquisition.  It really hurts my hands to shoot, so for me it's a lousy range gun.  It is also much more picky when it comes to ammo.  It does NOT like the Russian Wolf brand, resulting in several FTF's.

I may just sell the R51 and use my CZ83 for CC.  Even though it's only a .380, with Buffalo Bore ammo it hits pretty hard.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on July 26, 2017, 09:17:35 AM
I had both the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical and the Remington R51 to the range yesterday.  The CZ75 is a far superior weapon to shoot, both for comfort and accuracy.

That is obviously to be expected as the CZ75 has a longer barrel, heavier weight for better recoil and a larger grip for my big mitts.

The ONLY advantages to the R51 are that ii is easily concealable and has the CT laser for easier target acquisition.  It really hurts my hands to shoot, so for me it's a lousy range gun.  It is also much more picky when it comes to ammo.  It does NOT like the Russian Wolf brand, resulting in several FTF's.

I may just sell the R51 and use my CZ83 for CC.  Even though it's only a .380, with Buffalo Bore ammo it hits pretty hard.

Actually, Dutch, my R51 will eat anything I put in it.   Even Winchester USA Forged steel cartridge.   I do not use the Russian stuff except in Russian guns.
Too dirty. I have large hands also, but I went down to Cavender's western Wear and bought a pair of riding gloves.  They work great. 
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on July 26, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

Actually, Dutch, my R51 will eat anything I put in it.   Even Winchester USA Forged steel cartridge.   I do not use the Russian stuff except in Russian guns.
Too dirty. I have large hands also, but I went down to Cavender's western Wear and bought a pair of riding gloves.  They work great. 
Blackie

The Wolf ammo hangs in the magazines, like it is just slightly too long.  I shortened the follower legs by 3/16", but that doesn't prevent the hangs against the front of the mag and the resultant FTF.  My Beretta 92FS, CZ75 and Sig P226 Blackwater all feed the Wolf ammo with no hangups whatsoever.

I think the R51 problem is mag related.  Even when manually stripping the cartridges (any cartridge, btw) out of the mags by hand, they feel like they're catching on something.  None of my other pistols, including the .380 CZ83 do that.  The cartridges all slide out easily and smoothly.  Not so the R51.
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on July 26, 2017, 04:22:55 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on July 26, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

Blackie

The Wolf ammo hangs in the magazines, like it is just slightly too long.  I shortened the follower legs by 3/16", but that doesn't prevent the hangs against the front of the mag and the resultant FTF.  My Beretta 92FS, CZ75 and Sig P226 Blackwater all feed the Wolf ammo with no hangups whatsoever.

I think the R51 problem is mag related.  Even when manually stripping the cartridges (any cartridge, btw) out of the mags by hand, they feel like they're catching on something.  None of my other pistols, including the .380 CZ83 do that.  The cartridges all slide out easily and smoothly.  Not so the R51.

Dutch,
     I have noticed the same thing when removing cartridges from my R51 mags.  Seems they have a tendency to nose down.  But, when shooting, they feed correctly.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

DUTCH Van Atlanta

My cartridges seem to catch the rear rim of cartridge on the rear groove of the cartridge under it.  Whatever, the movement of the rounds from the mag is not smooth.

I have pretty much made the decision to sell my R51; and use my CZ83 for CC.  The R51 is just too "fussy" for me, in addition to the fact that I cannot achieve comfort with that small grip.  I'm also surprised at the amount of internal wear on the pistol after only 200-250 rounds through it.