• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Suppressors

Started by SCurmudgeon, July 25, 2017, 10:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCurmudgeon

The movie "Back to the Future 2" promised we'd have hover boards in 2015.  That didn't happen.

Remington showed us an R51 with suppressor in 2014, but we didn't get that either.

Is there any speculation why?

I don't understand completely how semi-automatic pistols function, but my guess is that hanging a can off the front of the R51 degraded function/performance such that the idea was scrapped before or during retooling.

I'm just wondering if the original hand-built, pre-Shot Show 2014, Gen 1 R51s ever worked with a suppressor or if was it marketing hype from the start.

lklawson

The suppressor changes the back-pressure characteristics of the gasses which changes the recoil and affects the slide cycle.  My understanding is that there is no real reason why a suppressor couldn't work on an R51 but, like suppressors on most other semi-auto pistols, would probably require tuning the recoil spring and ammunition for reliable function.  In particular, sub-sonic, usually heavier bullet, ammunition would be most applicable.

Remington really wouldn't need to provide a suppressor, just a longer barrel with a threaded end.  There are two different, competing, thread pitches if I understand correctly. 

I suspect that the reason that Remington hasn't released a threaded barrel is that it inevitably leads to function issues as the user tries to home in on the right spring weight and ammunition.  With the R51's pre-existing black eye, there are undoubtedly any number of people who would immediate jump to blaming the gun and level charges that Remington is just a crappy, once-great, company.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

russc2542

I'm sure it has nothing to do with it being a pariah and sales of an extended suppressor barrel aren't forecast to justify the cost.