• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Fire Sale + Rebate

Started by SCurmudgeon, June 15, 2017, 08:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCurmudgeon

Although many retail stores in my area still hang $449 price tags on their R51's, at least one shop posted an internet price below $300.

I cross checked this with BudsGunShop.com and he is under $300 too.

Plus Remington is offering a $50 rebate on the R51 through 7/30/2017 (limit 5).

It might be time to stock up!

SCurmudgeon

I took the plunge and I'm officially in the club!

$250 is too sweet of a price to pass up.

I got mine from a local shop.  The sticker on the box indicates that it was one of the original batch re-released in Aug 2016.

Stay tuned for a range report in a week or two.

RED HORSE

Suspect they will soon disappear from the Remington catalogue.  I like mine, too bad.

lklawson

Quote from: RED HORSE on June 19, 2017, 08:35:14 PM
Suspect they will soon disappear from the Remington catalogue.  I like mine, too bad.
People have been claiming that for years now.  http://r51pistol.com/general-discussion/getting-frustrated/msg191/#msg191

Didn't happen then, I don't see it happening "soon" at this point.

But what do I know, I'm just a "shill."   ::)   http://r51pistol.com/general-discussion/getting-frustrated/msg191/#msg191

SCurmudgeon

Quote from: lklawson on June 20, 2017, 07:28:41 AM
I'm just a "shill."

Kirk, if it wasn't for you and Blackie, I wouldn't have purchased an R51.

There is probably a silent majority of R51 users who likely don't have problems and who don't go on the youtube to share their positive experience.  Heaven forbid anyone should be caught "shilling" for Remington these days.   ;) 

And for the problems that do exist, this website has been an invaluable resource for dealing with them.

Yes, you can argue all day that given today's modern manufacturing capabilities, handguns shouldn't need a break in period, and you'd have a good point.

But I wanted the R51 because it is unique, distinctive and innovative.  I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun with this on the range.

lklawson

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on June 20, 2017, 09:20:33 AMYes, you can argue all day that given today's modern manufacturing capabilities, handguns shouldn't need a break in period, and you'd have a good point.
Surprisingly to many, Kimber, known for their high quality (and corresponding price-point) recommends a break-in round-count of 400-500 rounds:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/1911-Full-Size-Manual_11-2015.pdf

Most "experts" will recommend a minimum of 200 rounds.  <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

russc2542

But is it breaking in the gun or breaking in the owners? in other words: shut up and get used to it and if you still have problems after x time/rounds come see us.

My background is largely automotive and engine break-in is largely a worry of the past (generally, 95% of it happens in the first few miles being moved around the dealership lot before the customer even sees the car), the take-it-easy-during-break-in is more so the owner doesn't do something stupid with a new and unfamiliar vehicle. For some things, the warranty even says to wait. Example: most manufacturers won't warranty the alignment under 1k miles (but also won't warranty it over 2k miles). Less than that and it's more likely that the vehicle is new to the driver and issues that haven't shown up by 2k aren't manufacturing-related.

lklawson

Quote from: russc2542 on June 20, 2017, 11:00:56 AM
But is it breaking in the gun or breaking in the owners? in other words: shut up and get used to it and if you still have problems after x time/rounds come see us.
Hehe, yeah, there may be some of that too.  :D

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: SCurmudgeon on June 20, 2017, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: lklawson on June 20, 2017, 07:28:41 AM
I'm just a "shill."

Kirk, if it wasn't for you and Blackie, I wouldn't have purchased an R51.

There is probably a silent majority of R51 users who likely don't have problems and who don't go on the youtube to share their positive experience.  Heaven forbid anyone should be caught "shilling" for Remington these days.   ;) 

And for the problems that do exist, this website has been an invaluable resource for dealing with them.

Yes, you can argue all day that given today's modern manufacturing capabilities, handguns shouldn't need a break in period, and you'd have a good point.

But I wanted the R51 because it is unique, distinctive and innovative.  I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun with this on the range.

SCurmudgeon,
     Thanks for the back pat,  Glad you finally took the plunge.  Any questions, Either Kirk or I can probably help.   Kirk is the reload go to guy,  me mostly mechanical.
Blackie     :)
So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on June 20, 2017, 09:45:08 AM
Quote from: SCurmudgeon on June 20, 2017, 09:20:33 AMYes, you can argue all day that given today's modern manufacturing capabilities, handguns shouldn't need a break in period, and you'd have a good point.
Surprisingly to many, Kimber, known for their high quality (and corresponding price-point) recommends a break-in round-count of 400-500 rounds:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/manual-download/1911-Full-Size-Manual_11-2015.pdf

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I have several 1911s,  15 actually of different flavor, and most seem to require no "break in" .   One of which was the Rem R1 1911.
Plus many other pistols that did not require a break in.  Including my R51.  (aside from the mag problems)  Maybe just luck of the draw. 
Blackie     

lklawson

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on June 20, 2017, 04:20:52 PM
Quote from: lklawson on June 20, 2017, 09:45:08 AM

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I have several 1911s,  15 actually of different flavor, and most seem to require no "break in" .   One of which was the Rem R1 1911.
Plus many other pistols that did not require a break in.  Including my R51.  (aside from the mag problems)  Maybe just luck of the draw. 
Blackie   
My R1 has also been fine since round number one.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zenshot

Mine was $280 before the rebate.  Hard to pass up for that price.
I don't think the low price is because the R51 will be phased out.  Many manufacturers are having rebates and lower prices.
-David

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Zenshot on August 04, 2017, 09:37:19 PM
Mine was $280 before the rebate.  Hard to pass up for that price.
I don't think the low price is because the R51 will be phased out.  Many manufacturers are having rebates and lower prices.

Zenshot,
     From what i have been reading, a lot of people have slacked up on firearm purchases since we put ol' Obama out of office.
Or is it just my imagination?  Whatever the reason, lower firearm prices are always welcome.
My first .22 "J Frame" Smith and Wesson, purchased in 1958, in a pawn shop in Va Beach, Va cost me $25.00. 
Wish I had it today.  Another of those "If Onlys".
Blackie

lklawson

It's pretty much only tracked by Form 4473 requests so it never was 100% accurate.  But what we've seen is that 4473's were initially "down" a bit over what they were when Hildabeast was running, but they're still up over what they were before "O" took office, and even still up year-over-year.

So it kinda depends on what you mean by "slacking off" or "down."  As a short term trend, they may have been down a little bit for a while.  As a long term trend they're still way up.

Yeah, the legacy media is trumpeting the claim that "gun sales are down under Trump" loud and long, but we don't trust them, do we. 

https://graphicalrepresentation.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/are-gun-sales-down-under-president-trump/

http://freebeacon.com/issues/may-2017-sets-gun-sales-record/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

SCurmudgeon

I do remember long lines at the local outdoor big box store gun buying counter before the election.