• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Just got it back

Started by spot17, April 20, 2017, 11:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spot17

Hi kids,
I found this forum after I had sent my gun back to be repaired. I got it back today and went to the range to test it out. But before I get into that I want to share my experiences with you. I bought this gun from a new gun dealer in a town next to mine in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. This is a new shop so the selection is nice but not huge. The people that run this place are very nice and know their stuff. So I felt I was in good hands. I wanted a cc for work and that guided my shopping. One of the sales people recommended the R51.  The first thing that came to mind was James Bond would have loved this gun. I looked at we talked about it and yes, I bought it. Here in FL., you have a 3 day cooling off period . So I waited then went back and got it. Took it to a brand new state of the art indoor range and started shooting. Every mag, hard to load and lots of jams. After about 500 rounds I took it back to the store to ask what I should do. The guys said to me lets us send the gun back for you so I did. While my gun was on vacation , I found this forum. It answered a lot of questions I had. I wish I had  seen it first. Too much YOU TUBE got me depressed.
I got my R 51 back to day with a note in the box. It said "adjusted magazine shot 4 rounds works ok." Ran down to the range, Loaded the mags and Sweet. Works great. One jam, but other that that perfect. Sights are right on and all is in the fun zone.
The gun is terrific. Shoots well and needs some TLC but worth it.  As a defensive weapon? Not comfy enough with it. As a cool shooter and fun gun that I would say down the road will find it's spot in a lot of collectors safes yep.
Thanks to this forum I took another look at this gun and listened to what you all had to say, and all I can say is thanks. Next step pimping it out about. Need a carry holster, new grips, hollow points, you know stuff.
Thanks again.
Pete

Thom9mil

Glad to hear they put you on the happy road. I've put several hundred rounds through mine with no jams, fail to eject or any other nuisance activities.
My sights were off by about 4" right and 4" low at 9 yards. Resolved this myself with a new front sight from Dawson's and a dial indicator to center up the lefty right stuff. All is good now.
I am about 100 rounds away from calling it ready to find a good defensive load. Looking at the Remington HTP. I think those are either 124 grain or 147 grain. Would prefer heavier but will be happy with what the R51 likes.
Enjoy. It is a hoot to shoot.
Remington R51, DW Guardian, Fusion CCO, Kimber Micro 9 and some 22's.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Thom9mil on April 21, 2017, 07:45:27 AM
Glad to hear they put you on the happy road. I've put several hundred rounds through mine with no jams, fail to eject or any other nuisance activities.
My sights were off by about 4" right and 4" low at 9 yards. Resolved this myself with a new front sight from Dawson's and a dial indicator to center up the lefty right stuff. All is good now.
I am about 100 rounds away from calling it ready to find a good defensive load. Looking at the Remington HTP. I think those are either 124 grain or 147 grain. Would prefer heavier but will be happy with what the R51 likes.
Enjoy. It is a hoot to shoot.

Thom9mil,
     I feed mine Ruger Arx.   It is a great load, and +P too.  I have not had a single ftf or fte with it.  Of course, since I trimmed the followers on my mags everything feeds and goes BANG!
Blackie 
So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: spot17 on April 20, 2017, 11:06:58 PM
Hi kids,
I found this forum after I had sent my gun back to be repaired. I got it back today and went to the range to test it out. But before I get into that I want to share my experiences with you. I bought this gun from a new gun dealer in a town next to mine in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. This is a new shop so the selection is nice but not huge. The people that run this place are very nice and know their stuff. So I felt I was in good hands. I wanted a cc for work and that guided my shopping. One of the sales people recommended the R51.  The first thing that came to mind was James Bond would have loved this gun. I looked at we talked about it and yes, I bought it. Here in FL., you have a 3 day cooling off period . So I waited then went back and got it. Took it to a brand new state of the art indoor range and started shooting. Every mag, hard to load and lots of jams. After about 500 rounds I took it back to the store to ask what I should do. The guys said to me lets us send the gun back for you so I did. While my gun was on vacation , I found this forum. It answered a lot of questions I had. I wish I had  seen it first. Too much YOU TUBE got me depressed.
I got my R 51 back to day with a note in the box. It said "adjusted magazine shot 4 rounds works ok." Ran down to the range, Loaded the mags and Sweet. Works great. One jam, but other that that perfect. Sights are right on and all is in the fun zone.
The gun is terrific. Shoots well and needs some TLC but worth it.  As a defensive weapon? Not comfy enough with it. As a cool shooter and fun gun that I would say down the road will find it's spot in a lot of collectors safes yep.
Thanks to this forum I took another look at this gun and listened to what you all had to say, and all I can say is thanks. Next step pimping it out about. Need a carry holster, new grips, hollow points, you know stuff.
Thanks again.
Pete

Spot17,
     Glad you got your gun back. "Adjusted Magazine and shot 4 rounds"?  WOW!   Some adjusting.   If you should have anymore problems you might want to trim the
legs on the magazine follower about 1/8 inch.   A lot of us did this and it made a world of difference.   That and learning  how to insert and load the mags.   Never saw a
pistol that was not supposed to be "racked" to load a cartridge from the mag.   I carry my R51 as a backup, not that I do not trust it,  I just like knowing that I have
a third of a box of ammo in my main carry which is a 9MM 1911,   Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. . 
Happy shooting.
Blackie

Chokejug

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on April 21, 2017, 10:00:43 AM
[

Thom9mil,
     I feed mine Ruger Arx.   It is a great load, and +P too.  I have not had a single ftf or fte with it.  Of course, since I trimmed the followers on my mags everything feeds and goes BANG!
Blackie
Apparently you really like those ARX loads, eh?

Just ordered some today, even before my pistol came later on in the day.

Did get it out and put 82 rounds of steel case Win Forged through it so far.
Had 2/3 jams related to the mags I think.
Leavong them loaded now for a few days and will trim folowers if and as necessary.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Chokejug on October 27, 2017, 05:30:36 PM
Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on April 21, 2017, 10:00:43 AM
[

Thom9mil,
Blackie
Apparently you really like those ARX loads, eh?

Just ordered some today, even before my pistol came later on in the day.

Did get it out and put 82 rounds of steel case Win Forged through it so far.
Had 2/3 jams related to the mags I think.
Leavong them loaded now for a few days and will trim folowers if and as necessary.

Choke,
     Good luck and happy shooting.
Blackie

Chokejug

If mine had been "proven in" tonite, it would have been called on to put 2 'possums in the bag !

Meantime I had to rely on the old Kahr PM9 in the hen house.

Guess I had better srart carrying the .22 down there.

R51Fan2017

Quote from: Chokejug on October 28, 2017, 09:32:40 PM
If mine had been "proven in" tonite, it would have been called on to put 2 'possums in the bag !

Choke,

You are always talking about those blasted possums! I think it's time to put either electrify the hen house wire and zap those buggers, or move the hens to a safe location and put M18 claymore mines around dang sucker!

Choke: (sipping coffee at the dinner table on a cold night)

Outside: KABOOOM!..............BOOM!.............BOOM!

Choke: Goodbye possums.  8)
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Quote from: R51Fan2017 on February 09, 2018, 03:35:27 PM
Quote from: Chokejug on October 28, 2017, 09:32:40 PM

Choke,

You are always talking about those blasted coons

Choke: Goodbye coons.  8)

When did Opossums become "coons"?
"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." - Clint Eastwood

R51Fan2017

Quote from: DUTCH Van Atlanta on February 09, 2018, 06:42:59 PM

When did Opossums become "coons"?

Uh, yeah, oops. I was at work and was scanning quickly. My eyes are tricking me again. Yup he said possums alright.
"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."

- Larry Elder

Chokejug

Got them thinned out a bit now.
Havent had any problems with them in weeks now.

Or else they all went south for the winter!

Chokejug

Got them thinned out a bit now.
Havent had any problems with them in weeks now.

Or else they all went south for the winter!