• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Firearm safety

Started by 1911SHOOTER, June 28, 2017, 01:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

I know I am going to get tons of flack over this, but it is what I believe, and I am entitled to
my opinion.   The proof of this lies right next door to the 2ND Amendment, which I
adhere to and believe in.

People are dying because they do not understand firearms and what they can do
if you do not respect them.  They do not understand the difference between a real
gun and a toy gun. 

I firmly believe that any person who is purchasing a firearm for the first time should
be trained in firearm safety.   And required to furnish proof of that upon purchase.
Blackie

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/28/charges-filed-after-youtube-gun-stunt-gone-wrong-leaves-boyfriend-dead.html

So many guns, so little time!

Texas-Mark

We were discussing this on another forum and some think it may actually have been a "suicide by girlfriend". It was supposedly a .50 caliber handgun, and having owned a .50 Desert Eagle, I guarantee a book would not have stopped it.  So whatever book he showed her before that was not shot through, was probably done with something else.

That said, I agree that basic training should be a requirement. I know there are the "shall not be infringed" people who will say training was not required when the 2A was written., However, back then people grew up around guns and learned at an early age how to respect them. Now people who have never touched one think they know it all. I refuse to go the range any more because of the stupid stuff I see. I lost count of the times someone pointed a gun in my direction when racking it or otherwise fiddling with it. Luckily I live on 50 acres and can just go shoot out back whenever I want

Here in TX you need to take a training course to get a LTC. Years ago when I went to do a renewal (before they eliminated that requirement) the RO told everyone to make sure that all mags were unloaded before going up to the line (outdoor range). One younger kid decided he was going to do what he wanted, and started going up to the line with several loaded mags. The RO did notice and told him to unload the mags before he went any farther. A few seconds later we hear shots and everyone is hitting the dirt. This idiot was firing the mags down range where people were setting up targets. When asked WTF he was doing, he replied "You told me to unload my mags, so I did". He is very lucky he left with all of his teeth and no broken bones.     

enuf

Agree on the safety training, it should be a requirement for any first time gun buyer. It's just not the way things were in our youth when lots of people grew up around guns. Too many people get their start only as an adult, never having had any experience around guns. Some of those people are worse than ignorant, they are ill informed by fantasy fed to them in movies and TV shows.

SCurmudgeon

The only thing I'll add is that the requirement to provide proof of safety training should apply to everyone every time they purchase a firearm.

I've seen as many old-timers 'bending' safe handling rules as I do young folks making stupid, rookie mistakes.

As an experienced adult hunter I've got a tendency to think I don't need any more training, but that is beside the point.