• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

Remington RP9

Started by SCurmudgeon, March 23, 2017, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCurmudgeon

Does anyone have interest in or experience with the Remington RP9?

I really like the innovations and features Remington is trying to bring to market with their new pistols, but they seem to continue having problems.  I'm wondering if the criticism of the RP9 is deserved or is a carry-over from the botched R51 release.

I've read the left-side button of the ambidextrous slide release flexes and does not function due to a design flaw and the pistol is subject to nose dive failures that lock up the slide when the mag is loaded to capacity.

You can argue about whether or not a pistol produced in a modern factory should need a break-in period and decide on your own if you want to spend your money on one that seems to need one, but I'm wondering about this in the context of the RP9.  Does it simply need a break-in or does the high capacity mag/thin grip design [again] introduce "tolerance stacking" issues in production such that some pistols are more prone to feed failures?

I'm just wondering if you guys have any opinions or heard any scuttlebutt.

Texas-Mark

I really have no interest in the RP9. Too "Glockish" for me. I got the R51 mainly because of the aesthetics. For CC, I have a LCPs which I find perfect for me. For full size range/SHTF guns, I prefer hammer fired, metal frame guns like a CZ75 or Beretta M9

SCurmudgeon

...and the Browning Hi-Power.   ;-)   (I couldn't agree more with what you said about range guns.)

I was just amazed that there were so many reports of problems with the RP9 after the R51 disaster.  And I don't know if these problems are real or perceived (I do have my own opinions), but you would have thought that Remington would not allow this to happen two times in a row.

lklawson

For the most part, it appears to be Hateraid. 

One reoccurring complaint from the youtube reviewers is that the ambi Slide Lock flexes when used for a left handed slide release. 

I've posted about it several times online.  Slide Lock =/= Slide Release.

Rem specifically states in their manual that it is a Slide LOCK and specifies the slingshot style slide release.  People using the Slide Stop as a "Slide Release" on the RP9 are specifically misusing the product and then they want to complain about it?  So far the most, <ahem>, cogent rebuttal to that is, "hey, it works as a Slide Release on the 1911 and the Glock so why not on the RP9?"  Why not?  Because the manufacturer and designer specifically says no, that's why not you doofus.

Another popular "new media reviewer" had terrible feed issues with his RP9 and complained about it (and the "Slide Release") so Remington sent him a replacement and a bunch of free ammo.  The new RP9 worked fine and, instead of eating crow, he went on about how having the one malfunctioning was evidence of Remington's slipping quality, then doubled down on the "Slide Release."

Another, slightly less popular, reviewer went on and on about how crappy it was because, among other reasons, he hated the way it looked.  He also thought the grip was too long for the mag (which as more rounds that the Glock) and that the gun was too wide for a 9.

Much like a lawmaker who doesn't make any laws feels worthless, these reviewers kinda have to find something to complain about to justify their existence and "prove" that they're not one of those old-media "paid-for-by-advertising shills."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: lklawson on March 28, 2017, 10:48:10 AM
For the most part, it appears to be Hateraid. 

One reoccurring complaint from the youtube reviewers is that the ambi Slide Lock flexes when used for a left handed slide release. 

I've posted about it several times online.  Slide Lock =/= Slide Release.

Rem specifically states in their manual that it is a Slide LOCK and specifies the slingshot style slide release.  People using the Slide Stop as a "Slide Release" on the RP9 are specifically misusing the product and then they want to complain about it?  So far the most, <ahem>, cogent rebuttal to that is, "hey, it works as a Slide Release on the 1911 and the Glock so why not on the RP9?"  Why not?  Because the manufacturer and designer specifically says no, that's why not you doofus.

Another popular "new media reviewer" had terrible feed issues with his RP9 and complained about it (and the "Slide Release") so Remington sent him a replacement and a bunch of free ammo.  The new RP9 worked fine and, instead of eating crow, he went on about how having the one malfunctioning was evidence of Remington's slipping quality, then doubled down on the "Slide Release."

Another, slightly less popular, reviewer went on and on about how crappy it was because, among other reasons, he hated the way it looked.  He also thought the grip was too long for the mag (which as more rounds that the Glock) and that the gun was too wide for a 9.

Much like a lawmaker who doesn't make any laws feels worthless, these reviewers kinda have to find something to complain about to justify their existence and "prove" that they're not one of those old-media "paid-for-by-advertising shills."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kirk,
     Most You Tube reviewers are, in my opinion, Keyboard Kowboys.  who know little about guns.   Some do not even know the correct nomenclature for the firearm they are
"reviewing".    I would not presume to review a firearm unless I had at least a few thousand rounds through it.  When I read new posts about  R51s, good or bad,
I have mine on the desk in front of me in case there is something new I do not know about..   
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Pat Riot

I recently watched a review done by Hickok 45 on the RP9 and other than the larger size he gave the pistol a good review. If you want a slim 9mm you aren't going to get the high capacity and vice versa.

I agree regarding some of these Youtube critics and their reviews. It reminds me of the old joke "Hold my beer and watch this." only in the case of some Youtube posters it's "I got a new camera, watch this."