• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

R51 and cheap ammo update.

Started by A pause for the COZ, February 17, 2017, 02:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A pause for the COZ

Finally got the test done. I wanted to try some of the cheaper stuff out there to see how it works.
Usually I roll my own so finding cheap ammo is not a requirement.
But when you see stuff on sale, nice to know if it will shoot.
I had seen some of the Utubes of guys using the Russian stuff and having problems.

I picked up a box of Remington 115gr Brass case as a control.

A 150 round box of Winchester American steel
A 100 round box of the Federal aluminum cased stuff.

The Remington stuff shot great as expected. If your R51 hick ups on the stuff the gun was designed to shoot. Time to clean it and see whats up.

Winchester steel was next. Shot 100 of these no real issues. You can tell that the R51 likes higher pressure loads better though. These may be at the bottom of what it can eat. These seemed dirty to me.

Next put 50 of the Aluminum cased stuff through. Gun was not cleaned for any of these.
I had a fail to feed right out of the gate. No problems after that these felt more snappy.

Things I like about my R51. Super easy to control. You really have to try not to hit what your aiming at.
Even just dumping a mag at 25 feet all end up in a 6 inch circle. I will take that any day.
I find that its not any more or any less reliable than any of my other guns. Including my main carry gun XD's 45.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: A pause for the COZ on February 17, 2017, 02:21:49 PM
Finally got the test done. I wanted to try some of the cheaper stuff out there to see how it works.
Usually I roll my own so finding cheap ammo is not a requirement.
But when you see stuff on sale, nice to know if it will shoot.
I had seen some of the Utubes of guys using the Russian stuff and having problems.

I picked up a box of Remington 115gr Brass case as a control.

A 150 round box of Winchester American steel
A 100 round box of the Federal aluminum cased stuff.

The Remington stuff shot great as expected. If your R51 hick ups on the stuff the gun was designed to shoot. Time to clean it and see whats up.

Winchester steel was next. Shot 100 of these no real issues. You can tell that the R51 likes higher pressure loads better though. These may be at the bottom of what it can eat. These seemed dirty to me.

Next put 50 of the Aluminum cased stuff through. Gun was not cleaned for any of these.
I had a fail to feed right out of the gate. No problems after that these felt more snappy.

Things I like about my R51. Super easy to control. You really have to try not to hit what your aiming at.
Even just dumping a mag at 25 feet all end up in a 6 inch circle. I will take that any day.
I find that its not any more or any less reliable than any of my other guns. Including my main carry gun XD's 45.

Hey, Coz,
     A man after my own heart.  I too tried The Winchester Forged USA,   Independence aluminium, and other sundry ammo.  After 150 rounds of Win steel, I fired
100 rounds of Independence aluminium, then Winchester white box, Federal, and finally 100 rounds of Fiocchi in case I hurt the guns feelings.
I had one hiccup with Independence,  Had a deep pin strike on a dud cartridge.  Definitely not the gun's fault. The Win steel works in every gun
I own in 9MM.
After finding out that Rem did not mean for the R51 to be racked on a full mag, I consider the little gun a done deal.. It stays in my back pocket as back
up for my 9mm 1911 Hi-Cap.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!

Rog54

Is this an official notice you received?  "After finding out that Rem did not mean for the R51 to be racked on a full mag".  Is it posted somewhere on the site?  Don't remember seeing it?

Rog
Rog

valvestem

I'd like to know too where the "Remington did not intend for the R51 to be racked on a full magazine", info came from please.

Rog54

COZ, Blackie,

After owning my 51 for almost two months I finally got it to the range for the first time last weekend.  COZ, I have to strongly agree with your statement, "You really have to try not to hit what your aiming at."  Mine shot good, had to get used to the point of aim, which didn't take long.  Only shot 105 rounds.  105 because 5 were my very first 9mm reloads.  One of which stove piped, probably because of the load.  Had a couple hard racks.  Also found that if you smack the full mag on its back to seat the rounds to the back of the mag and insure the first rounds nose is up it worked fine.  I did shorten the follower on one magazine like one of the guys said, (Texas) ?
To be honest I'm not sure I saw a difference.  105 rounds not enough for a good evaluation IMHO.  No slide bite.  Frankly, unless those experiencing bite have very large hands I don't see how it could happen.  Racking it with slide forward was a bit more difficult, but did work.  Slide open then loading clearly was much better.  I like my new R51!  I did notice some wear and a developing burr on top off the barrel.  I have a picture but struggling with posting it.  Keep getting error messages.
Rog
Rog

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: Rog54 on February 23, 2017, 06:29:47 PM
COZ, Blackie,

After owning my 51 for almost two months I finally got it to the range for the first time last weekend.  COZ, I have to strongly agree with your statement, "You really have to try not to hit what your aiming at."  Mine shot good, had to get used to the point of aim, which didn't take long.  Only shot 105 rounds.  105 because 5 were my very first 9mm reloads.  One of which stove piped, probably because of the load.  Had a couple hard racks.  Also found that if you smack the full mag on its back to seat the rounds to the back of the mag and insure the first rounds nose is up it worked fine.  I did shorten the follower on one magazine like one of the guys said, (Texas) ?
To be honest I'm not sure I saw a difference.  105 rounds not enough for a good evaluation IMHO.  No slide bite.  Frankly, unless those experiencing bite have very large hands I don't see how it could happen.  Racking it with slide forward was a bit more difficult, but did work.  Slide open then loading clearly was much better.  I like my new R51!  I did notice some wear and a developing burr on top off the barrel.  I have a picture but struggling with posting it.  Keep getting error messages.
Rog

Good luck with those pics, Rog,
Sure would like to see them.
Blackie
So many guns, so little time!