• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

I'm new around here

Started by noisemaker, April 08, 2014, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisemaker

Hello!
I'm from the mountains of Virginia, currently living in Texas but will move back to the mountains as soon as possible.
I was raised around guns, my Dad served in Korea and Mother was an excellent shot with a pistol. Shooting matches and hunting was my childhood. But I haven't been very active with a gun for thirty years.
Every gun I ever had was a gift from my Dad and when my Mom passed away she left me her favorite Smith & Wesson. Since moving to a large city in Texas I wanted to get a conceal carry license and needed a gun for that purpose. After researching I decided on the Remington R51, even after some negative reviews. I brought it home yesterday and the first thing I did was break it down and clean it properly. It came from the factory way over lubricated in my opinion. Everything works smooth but I have not shot it yet. Looking for a local gun range today.
Thanks for creating this forum!

Robert

Welcome aboard, thanks for joining our forum.

Do come back and post a report after you shoot your R51. I would like to have your impression on how the gun handles and how your first session goes.

Thanks, Robert

noisemaker

I shot my R51 for the first time yesterday at a local gun range. I was treated like royalty as none of the gun guru's had seen the R51 in person. I put just under 250 rounds thru the R51. I had two ejection fails that I believe were due to me not having the clip fully seated. The clip actually fell out during one fail. I learned to give it a firm pat on the bottom and not another issue after that. I found the R51 very pleasant to shoot, it did not hurt my wrist at all. Very little barrel rise, but I need to sight it in, I kept shooting low and to the left, a very minor adjustment necessary. The head gun trainer was itching to shoot it so I let him, he has vast more experience than me. He loved it and shot a much better group than me, but low and to the left. I'm way out of practice, but I hit body shots every time at twenty yards. I'm going to go back today and practice for the conceal permit target. I love this gun!

I'm new here and not sure I put this review in the right place.