• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

!st round chambering

Started by oldmagnolia, September 30, 2016, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben B.

I've been eyeballing the tabs, but haven't touched one yet.

aracing

I dipped a toothpick into white fingernail polish and made a dot on the side of the follower through one of the 2 holes near the top of an empty magazine. When filing the follower legs I could visually see how much I could shorten and still allow for the follower to cover the 2 holes on an empty magazine. I set the angle of the follower legs onto a carpenters bevel to insure the correct angle when filing was finished. I just rubbed the follower back and forth on a flat file until I removed enough. Didn't really need the bevel. The top of 7 rounds now feeds ok if I am not slow or weak about racking.

DryrotUK1985

i have 6 mags, 2 gen 1 and the others gen 2. all have been tweaked in the tab areas by straightening them a bit and removing any sharp edges. followers in the gen 1 pair were trimmed 1/16 inch. still needs more. i mainly run the gen2 mags. reliability is not an issue and i can cycle federal hydro shock through without a problem

aracing

Tested my mag with the shortened follower at the range. Two 50 round boxes of Federal Syntech. Hand racked the 1st of each 7 round mag (14 mags). Only 1 nose dived, but I think it was my fault not getting the slide back far enough. A simple 2nd rack pushed it in. (This 1st round racking could have been tested at home rather than at the range, but I wanted to test the cycling with the shortened magazine follower.) The gun functioned flawlessly through the 100 rounds.

Wilsonink

After seeing a utube video where the shooter had that nosedive hangup on hollow points, I took it upon myself to grind just a little off that front edge. Didn't seem to hurt anything and I don't have any nose dive jams.