• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

!st round chambering

Started by oldmagnolia, September 30, 2016, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911SHOOTER

This is what my first round does with just about every type of ammo.
I pull the slide back, and release it and the first cartridge jams like this.
forgive the photo quality.
So many guns, so little time!

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: oldmagnolia on September 30, 2016, 04:09:49 PM
This afternoon I took the R51 for a second try with the same results.  When I insert a full magazine and rack the slide the first round will not chamber....it appears to get stuck as in on the verge of leaving the magazine but not quite.  I tried repeatedly with both mags that came with the pistol and I tried two types of ammo; white box win again and Hornady 115 gr FTX critical defense.  I do not think it is me as I have numerous other pistols and have never had this happen before.  If anyone has a suggestion then please let me know.

I did continue to shoot using both types of ammunition and this little gun is accurate in my hands at 15 yards.  I am pleased with groupings and recoil is nothing or close to it.

I really like this little jewel and just need to make a seven shooter out of it instead of six.  The gun functions flawlessly if I only put 6 rds in the mag.

oldmagnolia,
This is what my first round does, I pull the slide back, release it, and I get this.
(Forgive the photo quality.

sirbrian

A bit more information on my magazine.

I examined a magazine more closely by removing the base plate and spring then loading 7 rounds in the magazine. The magazine was then inserted in the gun and the plastic retention plate at the bottom was flush with the bottom of the magazine. As I racked the gun the retention plate went beyond the end of the magazine. This is the cause of the binding with 7 rounds loaded. If the base plate were inserted, the retention plate would have jammed against it.

My fix was to removed about two tenths of an inch from the four fingers at the bottom of the follower. I also cut the spring short by 2 loops at the bottom end. I can now chamber a fully loaded magazine. I tried it at the range with four magazines worth of ammo and it worked nicely.

This is my fix until the factory comes up with a real fix. 8)

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: oldmagnolia on September 30, 2016, 04:09:49 PM
This afternoon I took the R51 for a second try with the same results.  When I insert a full magazine and rack the slide the first round will not chamber....it appears to get stuck as in on the verge of leaving the magazine but not quite.  I tried repeatedly with both mags that came with the pistol and I tried two types of ammo; white box win again and Hornady 115 gr FTX critical defense.  I do not think it is me as I have numerous other pistols and have never had this happen before.  If anyone has a suggestion then please let me know.

I did continue to shoot using both types of ammunition and this little gun is accurate in my hands at 15 yards.  I am pleased with groupings and recoil is nothing or close to it.

I really like this little jewel and just need to make a seven shooter out of it instead of six.  The gun functions flawlessly if I only put 6 rds in the mag.

Old Magnolia,
     If I put one cartridge in the mag, and rack the slide, it goes into the breach. Then I reload the mag. Other than that, I love shooting this little pistol.
I guess it is a "love hate relationship"!

1911SHOOTER

Old Magnolia,
     I have found a solution, I believe. I started to do the following when I am shooting.
I open the slide. Then insert a fully loaded magazine. I then pull the slide back and
release it. It closes every time. I have been to the range twice and shot and shot
and shot. No problems at all. I shot Winchester white box, Winchester USA forged,
Blazer Brass, Ruger ARX and Sig Sauer V Crown. All went bang, fed and went bang
all after noon. If I leave the slide closed, insert a fully loaded mag, I cannot pull the
slide back, or if it does come back, when I let it forward, it does like the two
photos I uploaded. Still hate the Action Spring when I clean the piece.
Love to shoot it all day, hate to clean it once. I am considering getting three
bowls and putting Hoppe's Powder Solvent in one, swish the pistol  around.
Hoppe's gun oil in one, swish the gun, and letting
the gun drain in the third one. Then clean the bore. Bit drastic huh?

sirbrian

Some more on my magazine fix.

I shot 100 rounds today with no failures. I loaded 7 rounds in the magazine, racked it, and fired all 7 rounds with no issues.

My fix works and I'll stick with it until Remington fesses up and fixes the mags.

valvestem

Quote from: sirbrian on October 29, 2016, 07:49:34 PM
Some more on my magazine fix.

I shot 100 rounds today with no failures. I loaded 7 rounds in the magazine, racked it, and fired all 7 rounds with no issues.

My fix works and I'll stick with it until Remington fesses up and fixes the mags.

This very well be the solution to the issue, did you try the mod before cutting the spring first?

enuf

New here. I'm thinking of using some of my Cabela's VISA card points on an R51 but am waiting for the "Gen 2" to be as bug free as a concealed carry gun ought to be.

The discussion on the full mag - slide racking problem is great info, sorry to see there are still some problems but pleased people are finding fixes too. I think this next question fits in with that problem discussion:

Is the R51 a 7+1 or a 6+1 Capacity?

What I am wondering about is if after you lock the slide open, put in the full magazine and release the slide, what will happen if you then take the magazine out, add a round to top it off and put it back in the gun? Do you now have a working and trustworthy 8 rounds in the pistol? Or does it jam trying to eject and feed over a full 7 in the magazine?

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: enuf on November 05, 2016, 04:31:39 AM
New here. I'm thinking of using some of my Cabela's VISA card points on an R51 but am waiting for the "Gen 2" to be as bug free as a concealed carry gun ought to be.

The discussion on the full mag - slide racking problem is great info, sorry to see there are still some problems but pleased people are finding fixes too. I think this next question fits in with that problem discussion:

Is the R51 a 7+1 or a 6+1 Capacity?

What I am wondering about is if after you lock the slide open, put in the full magazine and release the slide, what will happen if you then take the magazine out, add a round to top it off and put it back in the gun? Do you now have a working and trustworthy 8 rounds in the pistol? Or does it jam trying to eject and feed over a full 7 in the magazine?

enuf,
     I top off the magazine, and the gun feeds well, Fires the one in the chamber and then feeds all 7 from the Magazine. Using this method, I have not had a problem since.
and I have shot a ton of ammo, including Winchester USA Forged. (Steel casings)   
Just remember, do not let your hand follow the slide forward. Let it slam home.
P.S. The Magazine holds 7 rounds. plus one in the chamber.
Happy Shooting!

P.S. The R51 Mag holds 7 + 1 in the chamber.

sirbrian

To answer valvestems question,

No I did not try leaving the full length spring in after modifying the follower. My experience as an engineer and my understanding of springs lead me to remove the two coils. When springs are compressed they have a linear functioning range and then they what is called a knee point. That is where the pressure required to compress the spring rises rapidly.

In my magazine I measured the knee point before 7 rounds were inserted with a compression gauge. That is why I removed two coils of the spring.

Texas-Mark

I have also noticed that it is very difficult to rack the slide with a full mag. However, I am not quite ready to cut the spring yet. I had a SA EMP that had the same problem when it was new. But after the mag springs took a set, it was no longer an issue. So I will give mine some time before modifying anything.

aracing

The 4 magazines that came with the 2 R51's that my wife and I own fail to chamber the 1st of the 7 rounds when the slide is racked back after the magazine is inserted. The 1st round gets nose dived into the mag when the slide moves backwards. If the slide is locked back before inserting the 7 round mag it usually chambers ok. Both guns are Gen2 and came with 2 mags each. The Rem phone helper a year ago said he has the same problem and the engineers are looking at the problem. He recommended that I carry only 6 rounds. The nose dive doesn't occur with 6 rounds. So, I carry an empty chamber and a 6 round mag. I haven't seen notification from Rem that the mags have been changed. Does anyone know if Rem actually studied the 7 round problem and have released improved mags?

pfm41

For me shortening the legs on the follower made it much easier to rack the slide with a full magazine. On thing that I did to my six magazines that hasn't been mentioned is to polish the underside of the tab at the front of the magazine.  Using an empty case, 357 mag works great, drag in against the underside of that tab and it will probably scratch the case.  I used a Dremel felt tip and polishing compound until the case would slide against the bottom of the tab like glass.  I did these two things before firing a shot and both of my R51s have been 100% reliable.

aracing

I have very little confidence in my ability to modify guns or even magazines. However, since magazines are "relatively" cheap, I may make similar changes to 1 mag and test it out before changing any others. If I do, I will post my results.

GerryR

Shortening the legs on the follower works very well with the seven loaded in the magazine.
I shortened them 1/8"

Another thing to consider is the tab in the front of the magazine, like pmf41 mentioned.  If you
insert the magazine into the pistol with the slide back, you will notice that the tab is used to push
the round back to keep it from hitting the barrel ramp on its way up.  I used a pair of pliers to
bend the tab up enough to still keep the rounds clear of the barrel ramp, but still give more
room in the magazine for them to move.  I used a small file to take the sharp edge off of the tab.
It seems to work very well this way.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment!