• Welcome to Remington R-51 Pistol Forum. Please log in or sign up.

2nd Range Session Results

Started by ScooterZ, September 27, 2016, 09:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScooterZ

Yesterday I went to the range for my second session with the R51.  Again, I fired 100 rounds of Herters 115gr. FMJ target ammo (brass cased, round nose).

Results:

1)  One Failure To Feed
2)  One premature slide lockback with one round left in the magazine.  (I believe I caused this with a high hold and my thumb pushed up on the slide stop upon firing.  i.e user error)

So,  in the first 2 range sessions of a total of 200 rounds fired I have only the one FTFeed that I can attribute to the gun.

In my opinion, this is quite normal and acceptable for a new pistol break-in.   

Overall, I'm satisfied with how the gun operates.   
I have now field stripped and cleaned/lubed the gun 3 times, and, it is getting easier each time as I climb the learning curve.   I highly recommend that everyone watch the Remington field strip instruction video and, in addition, use the "hold the barrel forward" method when reassembling the slide to the frame. 

Cheers to all.

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: ScooterZ on September 27, 2016, 09:34:51 AM
Yesterday I went to the range for my second session with the R51.  Again, I fired 100 rounds of Herters 115gr. FMJ target ammo (brass cased, round nose).

Results:

1)  One Failure To Feed
2)  One premature slide lockback with one round left in the magazine.  (I believe I caused this with a high hold and my thumb pushed up on the slide stop upon firing.  i.e user error)

So,  in the first 2 range sessions of a total of 200 rounds fired I have only the one FTFeed that I can attribute to the gun.

In my opinion, this is quite normal and acceptable for a new pistol break-in.   

Overall, I'm satisfied with how the gun operates.   
I have now field stripped and cleaned/lubed the gun 3 times, and, it is getting easier each time as I climb the learning curve.   I highly recommend that everyone watch the Remington field strip instruction video and, in addition, use the "hold the barrel forward" method when reassembling the slide to the frame. 

Cheers to all.

I also use the "forward hold on the barrel". However, the video does not mention this. I just figured if you had to hold the barrel forward to
disassemble the weapon, the same applied to re-assemble the weapon.  Tell ya something else, Remington made no allowances for
us old farts when it came to the action spring! That booger is strong. No one finger racks for us.
So many guns, so little time!

ScooterZ

Third Range Session Update:

Shot another 100 rounds of Herters 115gr. FMJ brass cased round nose ammo today. 

Results: (Target at 7 yards.)

1)  1 FTFeed (on 1st round,  I think result of a lazy
slide rack caused by the operator (me))
2)  No other malfunctions.
3) Getting used to handling the gun and getting more accurate.   Again,  the sights are accurate for POA to POI.

So, over a total of 300 rounds I have had only 2 FTFeed malfuntions and 1 premature lockback.

I feel these results are normal for a new production pistol.  I am happy with the gun so far.

Cheers to all.
ScooterZ

GunFrogg

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has to get use to handling the R51. I have about 800 rounds through mine now and have not had a failure in a very long time - cuz. . .  I learned not to rest my thumb on the slide and to keep my support hand fingers off the right side mag release  :)
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

kawa

Gunn Frog,
I think you need to stop making excuses for the R-51's malfunctions.  The bugs have NOT been completly addressed by Remington.  This weapon should NOT have these issues.  Are you confident that this weapon will preform in a way that you will bet your familyies life on it? I can't and won't.  That being said I still haven't got my new gun back from repair as it was exhibited all of the same problems listed by you and then some.

Good luck :'(

lincen

I agree that Remington has not got all the bugs out or their is some variable with the magazines that they didn't know about till recently. The first R51 that I had was much more reliable then the second. Shot two mags through it yesterday with no problem, but the next three had at least two issues per magazine.

This one has been back to Remington and though it is better it is far from what others are experiencing as to reliability. That said, I'm going to keep shooting, cleaning, and tweaking the mags till it's better or I send it back for a refund. Never intended to carry this gun but would like to be able to shoot 50 rounds each range trip without all these feed issues.

GunFrogg

Hey Kawa,
If I came across like I am making excuses . . . please excuse my bad writing. I sympathize with those that are having problems (I waited almost 2 years to get my R51 replaced).

However, with the R51 replacement Remington has sent me, the only problem I have is with the ambidextrous mag release, and my support hand finger pressing it accidentally. I know how to fix this problem if I so choose. I prefer so far to just slide my finger down just a tad to prevent this. The gun works well for me, is reliable, and meets my personal needs.

I am a big proponent of single handed shooting and for me, the R51 is really a natural fit in my hand  - this is why I own one. . . . . well, to be fully honest,  I have to say I also like how it looks :)

Best of luck to you getting Remington to make your R51 right.
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight

1911SHOOTER

Quote from: GunFrogg on November 24, 2016, 07:18:48 AM
Hey Kawa,
If I came across like I am making excuses . . . please excuse my bad writing. I sympathize with those that are having problems (I waited almost 2 years to get my R51 replaced).

However, with the R51 replacement Remington has sent me, the only problem I have is with the ambidextrous mag release, and my support hand finger pressing it accidentally. I know how to fix this problem if I so choose. I prefer so far to just slide my finger down just a tad to prevent this. The gun works well for me, is reliable, and meets my personal needs.

I am a big proponent of single handed shooting and for me, the R51 is really a natural fit in my hand  - this is why I own one. . . . . well, to be fully honest,  I have to say I also like how it looks :)

Best of luck to you getting Remington to make your R51 right.

Gun Frogg,
I agree with you. I am probably going to get slammed for this, but I have noticed that the same few commenters seem to be having all of the troubles. I had a feed issue,
found a fix for it, and my R51 is flawless now. I carry it as my backup in my vehicle. I would not feel unsafe to use it as my first carry weapon. There are less than a hundred
members on this blog unless I am mistaken, so if the R51 is so terrible, where are all of the other folks and their problems?
I also like the sleek lines of the R51. 
So many guns, so little time!

oldmagnolia

:)  I have been doing quite a bit of shooting with my R51 and have had no issues in the last month.  The initial problems with 1st round chambering are no longer a concern.  I now do as I was advised and lock the slide back before inserting the full magazine. I am very happy and carry it daily, hope all of you get to this point with your pistols soon.

Hornady critical defense 115gr, Winchester white box I am shooting daily as I am seriously in the backwoods.

If a problem comes up I will post it.  Good luck to all of you.

enuf

Quote from: 1911SHOOTER on November 24, 2016, 09:17:36 AM
There are less than a hundred members on this blog unless I am mistaken, so if the R51 is so terrible, where are all of the other folks and their problems?

Just a comment on that point, I'm a member but have not bought an R51 yet. So I'd not have made either a positive or negative post as yet. Could be there are other members out there also waiting and learning from what they read here.

Originally I fully intended to be an early buyer the first time but the gun was recalled before I found one. Now I am being much more cautious, Still fascinated by and wanting the R51 to succeed, but also wanting to give the second generation time to mature. Reading all the info from people who now have the second gen R51 is my plan for figuring out when to buy. Maybe that's in six months. Or, maybe Cabela's will offer a great Christmas coupon on gun purchases and I won't be able to resist using some of my Cabela's VISA points on one.